The Mastodon Appreciation Thread

Leviathan > Remission > Crack the Skye > Blood Mountain > the rest.

Anyone who rates the post Crack the Skye material over their earlier work is living a lie. They have their moments but it all blurs into a big nothing for me. I quite like Emperor of Sand whenever it’s on but can’t remember a single note when it’s done.

5 Likes

Even the good bits of Emperor of Sand sounded like total retreads

I’m glad I’m not the only who likes Emperor, as I’m really late to the party and only just got into them last year. I actually really enjoy the EP Cold Dark Place too.

Saw them at Nova Rocks in Austria last year, which was awesome and in Manchester later in the year, which was terrible because the sound was so bad (not the bands fault)

1 Like

I’ll take your word for it. I’ve listened to it 3 or 4 times and I’m still not entirely convinced it exists.

Almost like… an emperor of sand :exploding_head:

1 Like

My Mastodon anecdote:

Saw them at Sheffield Corporation on the Blood Mountain tour (I think…) and they stuck around afterwards and took over the DJ booth. Me and my mate Ben were stood chatting to Troy while Brent was playing tracks. He bangs a song on and Ben says,
“This is great! Who’s is it?”
“Neurosis man.”
A little while later Brent bungs a song on and Ben says,
“This is amazing! Who’s this?”
“Neurosis dude! You need to listen to some Neurosis!”
Then Brent plays another track and Ben says,
“Whoa this is awesome! Neurosis, right?”
“Uh, no. This is…this is us? We played this song like an hour ago?”

Classic Ben.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t rate it over the earlier stuff by any means but at the same I wouldn’t totally dismiss it like most of this thread does

If any Mastodon fans in here havent listened to Neurosis, please do so immediately.

2 Likes

I’m glad people are getting something out of it but it just kinda washed over me. It’s not actively bad it’s just…sort of there?

Opinions, eh?

Just started my belated Neurosis week as it happens. Why does Pain of Mind sound like a budget Slayer recorded in a small skip?

2 Likes

Blood Mountain > Leviathan > Remission > Crack the Skye > Once More Round the Sun > Hunter > Whatever the new one is called.

I think that’s the dividing line. Not dissimilar to Biffy - if you were there ‘at the time’ then you’ve watched a band turn into something quite different to what you fell for in the first place. But if, like me, you hadn’t given them much attention, heard Curl of the Burl and then dived headlong into their back catalogue from that direction, you can appreciate them as a band with a couple of distinctive eras that are good in different ways. Huge riffs, huge choruses. Wicked.

The sound for their Download set last year was appalling too. And they played a really weird setlist. In theory, Mastodon should be a great festival band but this is like they just pressed “shuffle”

masto

I saw them on the Leviathan tour at a place called The Furnace in Swindon! Proper metal. High on Fire were the support. It was a great gig. The drummer is bloody awesome.

That’s a really good comparison. Yeah, like you I’ve gone right into the back catalogue as well. It’s great when you have loads to go back to listen to.

1 Like

I would also like to add that if any Mastodon fans (especially fans of Crack The Skye) here haven’t listened to the debut album by DVNE released last year, please do so immediately.

1 Like

oh and; Leviathan > Crack The Skye > Blood Mountain > Remission > The Hunter > Once More Around The Sun > Call of the Mastodon > Emperor of Sand (although I should give this another listen, only listened to it once and discounted it almost immediately)

Brann is the best singer as well.

Brent for me

The Last Baron might be the best song ever. Fight me

3 Likes