The Monkey and Ape thread.

On the Tuesday thread I was discussing monkeys and apes with @kermitwormit and @weeber and I said I’d create a thread.

I’ve had a busy couple of days and didn’t get around to it. But as I’m currently watching Baby Chimp Rescue on BBC2 now is as good a time as any. Tune in.

So this is the thread to discuss your stories.
What is your favourite type of monkey or ape?
Where have you visited them?
Where do you want to go?
Any random monkey related merchandise you own and are proud of?

You’ll all probably soon realise I’m more obsessed with monkeys and apes than cats, which is saying something.

2 Likes

V much enjoying this rn

1 Like

Yes @ynot! Love a monkey.

We went to The Gambia last year, and I spent most of my time marvelling at the monkeys.

This was my individual favourite:

However, this is probably my favourite photo:

9 Likes

Not enjoying this sad bit tho…the chains whyyyyy :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Oh hang on, I forgot this fella:

5 Likes

I love monkeys
here’s a marmoset I saw the other day near a banana stand
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_BkhLnAnu/?igshid=1odca9qw2tsf4

5 Likes

That was indeed really sad :frowning:

Shit! Thanks for the reminder that I’m obsessed with them, I need to get down to Monkey World while I’m in the area.

I probably bang on about this all the time, but the best day of my life was visiting the snow monkeys in Japan. I made friends with so many of them.

Honestly the best day of my life, I was so at peace. Lovely trek through the hills to get there, covered in snow deeper than I’d ever seen before. So silent. Then monkey pals. Also I slipped on ice 17 times that day but didn’t stack it, I was truly blessed.

This is a pal I made in Angkor, briefly after I took these photos a Cambodian man laughed in my face because I was so sweaty (cos it was hot, not cos I’m a monkey sex pest)

Monkeys, apes, all the gang, love em love em love em

8 Likes

there’s always monkey near the banana stand

4 Likes

But the dogs and chimps is ridiculously cute.

1 Like

Hehe love the way the dogs look after the chimps

3 Likes

You should definately go. I’ve been three times, actually got to meet Alison last time…

1 Like

In many ways, we have a lot in common with them.

Here’s a monkey pal I met the other day

8 Likes

Just a few highlights.

IMG_20190910_155017

IMG_20190910_145959

IMG_20190910_144923

6 Likes

omg the second one! precious af

1 Like

Anyone else watching Monkey Island on Channel 5?

Monkeys and apes are our closest evolutionary relatives, how did we get it so wrong and they got it so right?

4 Likes

Monkeys are funny

2 Likes

Saw a whole load of Spider Monkeys out down Calakmul way. They were all too busy moving their babies out of the way of the Howler Monkeys in the distance to be social though. It was great seeing them swing through the trees, some of them carrying their tiny little babies. best I could get was this tiny little photo.