The music of Spacemen 3, Spiritualized and J. Spaceman

Never really understand stuff like this, you could make similar comments about, say, Low or Yo La Tengo (or indeed any act that’s been around for over twenty years), but that doesn’t make them any less consistently great

2 Likes

The thing I like most of these songs is that Pierce’s voice doesn’t sound completely shot. Well, maybe a bit, but not to the extent it did on Sweet Heart, Sweet Light. That was one of my biggest reservations about any new Spiz music coming out.

And for the record, the finest Spiritualized moment is the MTV 120 Minutes performance from 1992.

There’s no way you could make that comment about Low. I mean just listen to how the new stuff sounds compared to Great Destroyer

1 Like

That was the biggest surprise for me when I saw an acoustic show in 2006(ish); guy can really fucking sing.

You could, I’m playing Devil’s Advocate a bit, but those bands have at least tried some new directions, or played with the formula a bit.
I guess you could argue that an artist changes and develops over time, and to take 6 years over an album then have it sound fairly similar to the last one is a bit regressive.
I like them generally, but felt I’d heard enough after Let it Come Down.

Please don’t tell me you’re actually implying yo la tengo fall into the “making the same album” category in the slightest :grimacing:

2 Likes

Cheers! Diving in.

Is it any good :eyes::eyes:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/officialSpzd/status/1035251492301746176?s=19

1 Like

I was there “,

It’s a little flat sounding and didn’t grab me.
Hoping maybe the stream being not high quality, rather than the recording itself, but wouldn’t bank on it.
Will try again upon release I guess.

I’m really enjoying this (I’m up to Damaged so far, which is absolutely gorgeous). He’s pursuing his Gram Parsons thing more than any kind of space rock stuff, but anyone following his career should be expecting that by this stage.

Found this record to be absolutely glorious. Love the ebb and flow of the album but love the slower chiller tracks like “A Perfect Miracle”, “I’m Your Man”, and “The Morning After”. If this is indeed Pierce’s last album as he has indicated, what a gorgeous way to go out! Up there for album of the year so far for me.

I’m also enjoying this immensely. So soothing

Nothing they or he did really touches Playing With Fire. Deeply psychedelic gem.

1 Like

He’s rowed back a bit on the ‘last album’ thing, which isn’t surprising. I imagine it’s hard to just up and quit music after so long. The new album is pretty good on early listens anyway

I absolutely love this new album, it’s put me on a right spiritualized binge. There really is so much to enjoy

He’s very good at marketing his records- from A&E being pitched as a record done on his death bed (iirc it was mostly finished before his health declined) to huh coming with the announcement he was on chemo (but no announcement of cancer). Now he’s doing the death grips 2013-2015 strategy!

Im not suggesting he’s not sick ect but those points are certainly used to give a narrative for critics & listeners to hold onto.