The music of Spacemen 3, Spiritualized and J. Spaceman

They’re very different but there’s so much great Spiritulized music, it’d be a shame not to give him a listen.

This is a playlist I made years ago if you fancy trying them out.

1 Like

Although that’s mostly his pretty stuff. The first 2 albums would be closer to Spaceman.

Jason redid a few of his Spacemen 3 songs in Spiritualized - LCYHM, Feel So Sad, All Of My Tears and These Blues* all ended up on Spz records and he plays some he co-wrote with Sonic live (e.g. Walkin’ With Jesus, Take Me To The Other Side, Things’ll Never Be The Same). Plus early Spz gigs featured as much Recurring material as they did new songs.

*recorded around the Recurring era but not released until much later; a few versions are kicking around if I remember rightly

1 Like

If anyone here doesn’t have the two Lazer Guided Melodies outtakes/demo albums Will Carruthers released (and became available on the official Spz website for a while), happy to share them once I get home. They’re gorgeous stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Decent piece from The Quietus here to mark the 30th anniversary of ‘Recurring’.

I meant to post in here a while back about the excellent album by Camilla Fuchs called ‘Kids Talk Sun’ but got sidetracked. Came out late last year and it’s produced and mixed by Sonic Boom. It features the bleeping dronery of his recent work (albeit with a harsher, more sci-fi industrial edge) but with bjork/fever ray style vocals.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting both the article and the album above, both sound ace! Gonna have a listen / read.

2 Likes

Love seeing this thread bumped :slight_smile: Here is my second favourite song from Recurring (the first being Big City, of course):

6 Likes

Great write up from the Quietus there. Stuck on the cd after reading it earlier this week and the album still delivers after 30 years. I’m a sucker for the Pete Kember side A, love Just To See You Smile and Set Me Free. Great memories of listening to When Tomorrow Hits whilst as high as a sky diving cocker spaniel at Reading Festival in the back of a camper van. Ha, even now when it all kicks in it’s just monumental. By the same token, the Mudhoney version of Revolution is incredible as well. Stuck on the first Spectrum album straight after and that was super sweet too. Never got to see Sp3 live but did seeing solo Sonic/Spectrum very early on and Spiritualized a few times around their early singles and albums.

2 Likes

This thread reminded me of my first Spiritualized gig .

May 1992 at London Town & Country Club (as was), supported by Verve and Bark Psychosis. Wow. Don’t do bills like that any more.

2 Likes

fwiw, I think he saw Low doing a cover version of it, and then rerecorded it for Let it come down

1 Like

yeah, I think you’re right about this. Pretty sure I remember reading that he was impressed by the cover and hence asked Mimi to sing backing vocals on the rerecording

2 Likes

That’s a great version.

Just had a doze/nap while listening to LICD from the Straight and the narrow through to Won’t get to heaven 10/10 would nap again

3 Likes

‘The Straight & The Narrow’ is an interesting one as it is a very lush-sounding, straight-up pop ballad. I could imagine it being sung by some 60s crooner or something. I like it btw.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Ooh I hope the t-shirts for Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space are good.

Wondered why the LGM cover had changed on Spotify!

Just order from Drift - £27.99 for the white vinyl there. I’ve owned cassette and cd copies of LGM but never the vinyl. I do have an original LGM glow in the dark shirt still however.

Sorry, wasn’t meant to be a direct reply to @Tuna

Ooooh, nice! I have the original vinyl but it’s a rather scruffy copy and an upgrade would be very welcome. Shame there’s no extra material, but hey ho. Always wanted a LGM t-shirt too. Most tempted by the red one, I think…

Looking forward to the LAG reissue - I’m hoping it’s the brand-new remaster made for a Vinyl Me Please special edition last year. It’s apparently amazing, a massive upgrade on the original, and I’m pretty sure I saw something saying it’d get a wider release eventually. That said, I did like Spaceman’s attitude to the first LAG reissue put out last decade - he was asked if he wanted to remaster the album at the time and he said ‘nah, still sounds great to me’. Refreshing!