The National have been on a CRAZY run of form for nearly two decades

Well, if you ignore the last three albums anyway

3 Likes

The last album isn’t cannon, imho.

So bad.

4 Likes

The two before it?

Trouble Will Find Me’s a banging album.

Nobody listened to the one after that, but vague memories of it featuring their worst ever track.

3 Likes

Sleep Well Beast is great.

19 Likes

Choooon!

7 Likes

Trouble Will Find Me might be the best one, and Sleep Well Beast is right up there with it and has what might be the best three song run of their whole discography.

The last one was still really good, you just have to accept that duets are kind of inherently silly and not hold it against it.

7 Likes

Trouble will Find me is close to a 10/10 to me

And sleep well beast is very good

The last one sucked

6 Likes

Imagine thinking TWFM is better than alligator or boxer, or even HV. Just imagine. There’s some fine moments on it, don’t get me wrong, but man, no way.

17 Likes

Scott Devendorf is a boring old biddy

5 Likes

Alligator = boxer > sad songs > high Violet >>>>>>>>> a load of boring old shit

3 Likes

The last one was great! You Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, Oblivious, I Am Easy To Find, Where is her Head, Rylan and Light Years are all really good. Sure there’s a bit of filler, but I put it on a lot.

Obviously Boxer and Alligator are by far the best, but it’s all great

Alligator = Boxer > High Violet > Sleep Well Beast > Trouble Will Find Me = I Am Easy To Find

3 Likes

Only doing the good ones - which are very good.

Boxer > Alligator > Sleep Well Beast > High Violet > Trouble Will Find Me.

1 Like

Only really need boxer, alligator and trouble will find me. Delete the rest.

2 Likes

Alligator and Trouble Will Find Me are probably the two battling it out for first place. TWFM is just so sprawling and melancholic. They’re all so close though, there really isn’t much of anything separating any of the ones from 2005 to 2017.

1 Like

There’s plenty to love on SWB, even if it doesn’t scale the heights of previous works. They were fantastic on that tour too, still hungry. There’s not a lot to love on that last LP and almost everytime I saw them on that tour they sounded deflated.

Hate it when i end up accidentally reading a thread of people ranking the national albums

25 Likes

Saw them in Amsterdam that tour and Matt was very pleased to be mixing weed with wine.

This thread made me dip back into TWFM, which I hadn’t really played since the release year. Forgot how good it was and they were great on that tour (though the crowd was full of absolute idiots).

Have no interest in the latest one and can’t remember more than a single spin of the one before that.

1 Like

Was so disappointed with that latest album because I got very excited about it featuring some of my favourite vocalists (Kate Stables, Lisa Hannigan, Sharon Van Etten) only to have them do some of the most dull duets ever, not helped by the fact they showed up how limited Berninger is as a vocalist.

3 Likes