šŸ  The Neptune Music Prize 2018 - Vote Now! šŸŸ

Yeah I avoided them for ages coz of their stupid name but gave this record a spin because of this lot banging on about them. Itā€™s a very good record.
Their names still sucks though

avoided King Gizzard for ages before hearing them on 6music and realising i was very very wrong to do so. might look up a couple of LEG singles to see if itā€™s worth it

1 Like

Very much liking that Mastersystem is getting a lot of love. Very good album

4 Likes

Having conspired to listen to the album in the wrong order, I actually listened to this track first :unamused:

Oh mateā€¦ You donnie doofus

1 Like

Even if they donā€™t go on to win it my heart just swelled seeing mastersystem leading atm. Great record, a great band and a great legacy from one of the best songwriters Britain has had and who Iā€™ll always miss

6 Likes

would have really liked to have caught them live. their Quay Sessions set is wonderful

(^ fav song on the album)

4 Likes

despite being his final set of lyrics released they donā€™t really feel any bleaker than usual to me, but (as with all his albums) there are certain bits here and there that feel a bit heartbreaking now - the verse that really gets me given what happened is this from Waste of Daylight:

I missed the summer, but didnā€™t care
There will always be another, if I make it to next year

:cry:

2 Likes

Yeah, as much as I love the record I canā€™t listen to it too often as still so raw and lines like that really stop you in your tracks

1 Like

tbh i was the opposite and listened to it repeatedly for quite a while. i went back to all the FR stuff after the news too but the harder edge of the Mastersystem record made it a really cathartic listen for me

I think because it builds with various lines throughout the album and then with it being the final song and if you take it as a metaphor then it sounds like a real resignation especially with the line
ā€œIā€™ve seen all that I care to see
Become what I donā€™t want to beā€ and then repeating the song title at the end.
And then the album finishes, Iā€™m sitting in silence alone with my thoughts and my heart is broken all over again.

1 Like

So have Hookworm run over someone on Disā€™s cat or something?

3 Likes

Shouldnā€™t it be ā€˜Singularityā€™ by Jon Hopkins? Immunity was his previous album.

Basically the same album :wink:

6 Likes

Jon Hopkins has dis-plomatic immunity so he can get away with an old entry.

4 Likes

Blew their roof off apparently

I like Hook and the Worms but this tickled me

Yes, it was a mistake and we canā€™t edit the poll without deleting all of the votes so far, sadly.

Weā€™re just not as in to this record as previous ones - which won the award. There were about 300 contenders for this list and we went for a range of acts we felt might benefit from a nod to nudge people to listen to their records.

2 Likes

Fair, think itā€™s an impressive album but did enjoy them more as a noisy psych band

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more. I love this album, but it is such an intimate portrait of a breakdown. So sad

1 Like