The Neptune Music Prize 2019 - Longlist

Just going to do a list cos I’m lazy and not very good at explaining why stuff is good 'n that…

Hilary Woods
Let’s Eat Grandma
Tirzah
The Twilight Sad
Desperate Journalist
Ithaca
These New Puritans
Self Esteem
Snapped Ankles
USA Nails
The St. Pierre Snake Invasion

Thiiiiiisssssss

2 Likes

Lisa O’Neill if you want a good folk inclusion

1 Like

Oops missed Kathryn Joseph off my list but all good as she’s well represented in here already

1 Like

Was that released between sept 2018 and June 2019?

Why is the window narrower than 12 months?

I don’t know. I’m not in charge of the Mercury’s

Their website says 21st July - 19th July

OP states June - June

2 Likes

Fair enough. My apologies. Does let’s eat grandma count though?

Jason by O Emperor is absolutely one of the best albums released in Britain or Ireland in the last twelve months.It’s a winding, semi-improvised work plundering sounds from rock, jazz, and afrobeat and every genre in-between. Special mention goes out to Philip Christie’s stunning keyboard work and the drumming and production contributions of one of Ireland’s finest, Brendan Fennessy.

It was the band’s final statement before splitting up and won them the Choice Music Prize in Ireland, a fitting cap to a fantastic, if stop/start, career.

1 Like

It does for the OP June-June but not for the Mercury July-July. So… yes, just.

Martha - Love Keeps Kicking

Brilliant pop punk songs about love kicking the shit out of all of us

1 Like

Wow this is brilliant. Had no idea of this band’s existence. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

You actually listened to it? Unreal! Their first two albums are great as well. This is from the Lizard EP and is one of my favourite songs of theirs.

1 Like

Yeah! Was such an easy listen. So much going on but hangs together impeccably. One of the talkie bits made me burst out laughing. Think it was the end of Look at Now / Leave Off the Light Lad. I’ve made a playlist of all their stuff available on Deezer :+1:

1 Like

I want to +1 Trust Fund, fantastic album (again).

Who’s organising the short list and voting?

Will also nominate The Japanese House.

I would if I didn’t prefer her three previous albums (listened to it loads but I struggle to remember any of it) :frowning: