Each year, Drowned in Sound runs an alternative to the annual Mercury Prize.
Following discussions over the past few months, we have created a shortlist featuring 20 albums we believe music lovers will enjoy.
We use the same UK & Ireland, July-July criteria as the Mercury Prize, but excluding anyone who was nominated for that prize. There’s no entry fee, no sponsor, no TV show, and the list is compiled by me, Drowned in Sound’s founder Sean Adams, from all of your suggestions.
Full disclosure, I think FKA twigs should win, and have written why in the 2nd edition of Drowned in Sound’s recommended albums of the last 20 years newsletter, which you can read and subscribe to https://drownedinsound.substack.com/p/fallen-alien-fka-twigs
In no particular order, here is this year’s Neptune Prize shortlist to explore and to vote for the one you love the most.
- MAGDALENE by FKA Twigs
- When I Have Fears by The Murder Capital
- Sixteen Oceans by Four Tet
- Love + Light by Daniel Avery
- Human Again by Jorja Chalmers
- Walking Like We Do by The Big Moon
- Lost Girls by Bat for Lashes
- SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama
- What’s Your Pleasure by Jessie Ware
- 925 by Sorry
- Milkteeth by Douglas Dare
- Untitled (Black Is) by SAULT
- Six Lethargies by Keaton Henson
- Notes On A Conditional Form by The 1975
- Any Human Friend by Marika Hackman
- Kitchen Sink by Nadine Shah
- Debris by Keeley Forsyth
- The Talkies by Girl Band
- More Arriving by Sarathy Korwar
- Animated Violence Mild by Blanck Mass
I’ll walk you through my favourites on the list and reveal the winner on this month’s Soho Radio Show on Monday 5th October from 4-6pm.
For now, you can explore all 20 albums on Spotify here.
Recent winners have included Self Esteem (after no public vote last year, it just seemed like the right decision), Mastersystem in 2018, and Slowdive in 2017 (Kelly Lee Owens was robbed!).