The Official DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

No idea tbh, as I said in my initial post I picked this largely as there was this odd period where I was really into it but then just kind of forgot about it and never checked out any of his other stuff. Glad you got something out of it though :+1:

this goes for everyone but dont feel bad about chiming in late on an album. any of the old recommends are still fair game to talk about.

Ant (and anyone else), you should check out his record ‘All My Idols Are Dead + My Enemies Are in Power’, which dropped early this year. Criminally overlooked IMO, and very much a reaction to events in the US election in late 2016.

Posting on behalf of @anon9806217 who let me know what he wanted to recommend for his week:

RBL Posse – Ruthless By Law

500x500

Pumped to read some reactions to this. Great album, i’ll have more to say later.

I had a couple posts about RBL (and even posted the opening track from this album) in the Kendrick thread when Humble dropped and how it reminded of this sound.

faves off this…‘the sound’, ‘livin’ that life’ and ‘n’s on the jock’.

‘the sound’ has that synth bass.

damn, ‘livin’ that life’ is a jam. that tight old school funk guitar with g funk e’rything.

‘n’s on the jock’ is catchy. interesting production on that one, kinda slowed dutch house sounds.

1 Like

daaaamn , ive been meaning to dig into these guys for ages, had bammer weed on a playlist for the longest time and always been meaning to investigate them properly. great shout

1 Like

Ah, nice choice! Was listening the new Take It Personal podcast and started a note with people I need to dig out on Spotify and listen to again, and RBL Posse were on there weirdly. Listen To My Creep was my favourite off this, but I haven’t listened to it in maybe 20 years.

• GOES IN *

listened to this a couple of times now, it’s good. will have to listen to some more as it doesn’t have the one song I’d previously heard by them on. like the production a lot, v bouncey. think livin the life & i got my nine are probs my favourites although there’s a lot of good songs here, particularly in the first half of the album. m.n.o.h.p. is bleak as fuck

Was actually considering doing one of the first two RBL records myself. Obviously among the more slept on releases of the early 90s. Haven’t had a chance to revisit yet as been away, but will download when I get home and try and bring something of a fresh take when I have

Still bumping this and really enjoying it. Started writing a post that’s turning into an essay. So i’ll have to come back to it.

In the meantime, I made a map that i’ll update as we pick albums. Might be interesting to see the spread of choices…

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tCG-dE_spjQenS78F0c_ywO8FLs&usp=sharing

7 Likes

Yeah I’m fully on board with this RBL Posse. Feel like this would have been one of my favourite tapes as a teenager if i’d gotten round to it. Blows my mind that I’m still uncovering classic albums from the 90s that I never spun back in the day

For me it’s really just the vibe and the production, the consistency of the production is comparable to something like Dare Iz a Darkside where some of the beat drops and switchups just make you feel like they’re showing off. Bangers on bangers on bangers. Don’t want to sound like an old ass man but they don’t (well, occasionally they do) make albums like this anymore, the consistency of the production is great. Got that classic G-funk pomp of course and reminds me of some of my favourites like Dogg Pound / Compton’s Most Wanted but you can also hear flashes of Bone Thugs and even a few bits that got me thinking about Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik in terms of delivery and feel. Also that beat switch in Still Ain’t Learned… geez… They tease this whole other slick grandiose almost Camp Lo side to their style and then cut the album off.

I might be sleeping on them a bit but for me the lyrics are less of a standout with these guys, which I’m 100% cool with. The vibe and the atmosphere and the delivery and the excitement of them all bobbing and weaving and trading verses is enough. But it’s not the kind of album that I feel is gonna have me on rap genius trying to follow along any time soon

I also love how cross-referencing the albums of this era are… got the Snoop samples at the beginning of course. I had to do my google memory jogs to remember if Listen to My Creep would be a Tribe lift or the other way round. Really didn’t expect a Rump Shaker reference in I Got My Nine.

Top 3 currently would be Livin That Life, Blue Bird and Funkdafied, but really just into the whole thing tbh

:ok_hand:

3 Likes

So third week running I’ve had to apologise! Didn’t see my message saying I was up so thanks to the boss for stepping in.

So upfront, I absolutely love this record. Would have to admit that my experience of Bay Area hip hop at the time this dropped probably extended to Too Short and E-40 / The Click, with the Luniz a bit later. Thinking about it, I knew Souls Of Mischief and The B.U.M.S. too, but production-wise those groups could have come from NY, so would have fitted more into my east coast centric listening in 1994.

Have made a concerted effort to get more into Bay Area stuff in the last few years and wish I’d made more effort about 20 years ago tbh, because so much of it is amazing. Would be awesome if this turned into a bit of a discussion of Bay Area rap generally cos would love to hear from people who’ve been into it for years.

Anyway, of all the albums I listened to, this is my favourite (Celly Cel, Spice 1 and Mac Mal running it close though). The beats are incredible - very obvious G-funk influence, but with harder drums, which addresses pretty much the only issue I’ve ever had with west coast production. Black C and Mr. Cee are both top drawer MCs too - charismatic af, and bounce off each other brilliantly through the whole thing. Only criticism is that it’s slightly front-loaded, but it’s not like the back half sags or anything.

Don’t want to say too much more cos would prefer to have a discussion and know other people’s views on it rather than just bang on - hope y’all felt that it lives up to the standards set so far…

1 Like

Yeah the referencing is one of the things I love too - makes you think it was made by a bunch of total heads. Black Sheep get checked in Bluebird too

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t listen to tons of Bay Area stuff either, aside from Hieroglyphics (nice Casual sample on The Sound). At the time though, not too much of this stuff was readily available over here and I don’t remember it getting much radio play. I remember HMV on Oxford Street being the place to go, and having to buy imports on cassette. Too Short and E-40 seemed to be the guys getting pushed most and to be honest I didn’t like them and still don’t, and I think that stopped me digging too much deeper.

The thing I like(d) about RBL Posse is that they had a harder, darker sound compared to those guys. A nice dose of nihilism that I always enjoy in rap albums. I remember looking at the inlay and it had this really terrible Photoshopped horror scene that kind of reminded me of Three 6 Mafia - really OTT but all done quite earnestly - and I just thought ‘I need to hear this’.

Agree that it’s a little frontloaded, but it has a nice consistent sound all the way through which means I’ll always listen to the whole thing rather than skipping tracks. Having said that, I do rewind M.N.O.H.P. every time.

Also found that listening to this on my Sonos or on some decent head/earphones transforms it. Compared to listening to it on cassette on my old stereo - it’s like a different album.

2 Likes

Yeah. When you consider that this was released in 1994 you remember there were rappers out who were streets ahead, but these guys make tracks like M.N.O.H.P. believable, which is maybe more important.

2 Likes

Bit late to it this week, sorry guys!

Quite like this, that early-90s west coast Dre style keys-and-spiralling-synth-with-snappy-snares production (that there’s probably a proper term for that I don’t know) is something I need to really be in the mood for generally but I liked lots about this.

That opening three-track run is fucking great, got a bit fatigued by it around the mid point though, can see this being something I cherry pick my favourite tracks from for any region/sound specific playlists I seem to be perpetually working on. All of those first three tracks will make the cut :+1:

1 Like

Wednesday tomorrow!

rae_ghost

4 Likes

Yeah this is more or less just solid street rap. they have great presence tho.

Blue Bird was the bay are hit from this (not a real hit but an underground hit). I love that song so much. Kinda sounds like and always reminded me of Masta Ace ‘Born to Roll’.