The Official DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

Yeah - think it’s a good discussion to have. Funny though, I just didn’t associate Fadanuf with dubious lyrics and just thought of it as a good time party jam. Before today, I would have unreservedly recommended it to anyone. Just goes to show that you can become a bit immune after a while

This is brilliant. Sensible discussion - great questions from Oprah who remains impartial. No wack jobs in the audience and the guests all put their points forward persuasively, Ice-T in particular (Tipper Gore does get a bit ‘will someone please think of the children’ but that’s to be expected I guess). Music may have been a bit more offensive in the early 90s, but talk shows were definitely much more polite

Love this one. This is a really good gateway album into 90s southern rap. Think it comes down to the production, it nods to a lot of different regions, a little something for everyone. I think the production ties were stronger between the dirty south and the bay area, than say, the g funk LA scene, but on this album it reaches down to that g funk sound (Coughee is not far off something Ice Cube would rap on). The Pharcyde sound is def prevalent on here, though, probably the best comparison. The Rap A Lot sound had a lot in common with Ant Banks production, who probably doesn’t get enough credit. Squad or Smokin dat Weed sound like they should have a Too $hort or Rappin 4-Tay guest spot. But then there’s some tracks that would sound at home on a native tongues release (hear to say a lil somethin, jazz rendition, cant see it) which is why I think it’s a good gateway album.

Was having this discussion with some friends recently and we were saying that we’re going to have to avoid our kids from listening to a lot of the 90s stuff we loved and grew up on. def agree that so much of it was just pushing it to see who could be the grossest or most graphic or most ‘real’. they were kicking against the system. I’d say most of it was just jokes or alter egos or w/e but you hope that the rappers that made it out learned lessons and found ways to be better. As a teenagers this stuff was like fart jokes to us.

I think the rap scene has tamed in these areas, quite a bit, really. obv still a long way to go but until systematic oppression and racism are solved then there will always be an undercurrent of machoism and hate. I don’t hear nearly as much homophobia and homophobic slurs as in the 90s. I mean, even a tribe called quest, everyone’s fav fun loving rap group, made one of the most hateful songs in existence. I think it’s important to have these talks tho and do some self checking on occasion. Also important to engage with it and not just dismiss it (“it” referring to the whole genre).

Ha. When I was a teenager, I imagined that one day my teenage kids would be shocking me with their music. Now I think it’s more likely that they’ll be shocked and appalled by what I was listening too

Yeah, weird huh. Kids are always gonna want to push their limits tho so there will always be something. odd future were not long ago. and now we’ve got dickbags like XXXTentacion getting popular with the kids. i have deep internal discussions every time one of my fav r kelly songs comes on shuffle. this stuff is complicated.

** Crosses Necro off ‘possible albums’ list **

liking the chat, fits in with the crisis of masculinity stuff everywhere.

love the music here, wasn’t paying attention to the lyrics, reading this and ‘put cha lips’ came on, urrggh.

Sort of related, but was reading this article yesterday about Mecca and the Soul Brother and Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop.

“Both records have flaws, and both of them share one depressingly common failing: an attitude towards women that makes parts of each difficult to listen to and impossible to like…” - that whole paragraph was interesting given the chat in here.

That weirdly makes it sound like a throwback in hip hop. Sure, the profoundly vulgar records are more rare (Odd Squad, where ya at!), but it’s not like 95% of modern hip hop records are any more “woke” than these albums. I ain’t hearing no concept album from Kanye about the unfairness of the division of domestic labour

ha i always kinda appreciated this. felt like when nasty songs brought a woman in it scanned more as ‘we’re all just messing around’

Not exactly searing lyrical analysis, but I find with a lot of hip-hop in this era (94 probably being towards the later end) the vocals are really low down in the mix and hard to hear clearly, particularly on first pass.

I know what you mean, but I think the mixing is pretty good on this record, vocals don’t seem too low. Somewhat interestingly, it was mixed by Mike Dean, who worked on a lot of the Rap-A-Lot records at the time, and became more famous as one of Kanye’s right hand men.

Not to mention his career as a successful, if much maligned, referee.

I dunno, I find the rapping becomes more of a textural element with this sort of mixing (which of course can be fine). Contrast it with the punchier vocal mixing on, say, Ready To Die around the same time. All a matter of personal preference, of course.

dammit i love devin the dude

Really love Devin the Dude and wasn’t aware of this release and his origins - so super happy to give this a listen! Great recommendation. Really enjoying this thread even if I haven’t had much time to contribute to the discussion.

I think Devin is hilarious - used to listen to Just Tryin’ Ta Live back at Uni 10 years ago and some of this lines are still quoted in my friend group to this very day! Huge soft spot for the dude. Doesn’t take himself too seriously.

The Goats- Tricks Of The Shade

https://img.discogs.com/V76Nm83kBPVIEaYPZdYYqFFj_ac=/fit-in/600x601/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-348637-1433599435-8979.jpeg.jpg

overtly political. the skits are interlinked, weaved between all the songs. from Philadelphia, 1992. bit of a rock flavour to it.

Oh, wow. Was thinking about this album the other day. Great choice.

Oooooo the production and flow on Typical American makes me think this could be right up my street. Looking forward to delving into this.