The Official DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

“You private school healthcare-having…” :grinning: / :slightly_frowning_face:

This has aged really well IMO. Listened to it a lot when it came out but never revisited it since. Remember the skits getting tiresome after a while, but it’s actually really great to listen to them again now, a bit older and actually knowing who Manuel Noriega was etc.

Recall them having a bit of crossover appeal with the indie crowd, and them touring with the likes of Cypress Hill and maybe Funkdoobiest, but generally flying under the radar. Looking back, I’d wager the label were hoping they’d grab a bigger fanbase based on the success of Rage Against The Machine. Same with The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy who had a similar vibe at that time but always had a very niche audience. Them and The Goats were right up my street though.

Great pick - going in for second listen.

Looking forward to getting into this. One of those I heard about in circles but never checked.

Great choice! Never got properly acquainted with this one at the time. Remember Typical American from indie discos up and down the country, but think I was a bit snotty about this band (in the way that teenagers can tend to be) because I felt they and Disposable Heroes were getting loads of attention from the NME and Melody Maker and other hip hop artists (apart from the massive ones) were being ignored. The coverage had a bit of the ‘hip hop for people who don’t like hip hop’ vibe about it too, iirc.

Obviously none of this is the Goats’ fault so looking forward to hopefully finding out that 15 year old me was a bit of an eejit. Cheers furry

I guess these guys were big in the UK? just reading up on it a bit and sounds like they made noise over there but not in the states.

Yeah - they definitely got some play, but like the Chairman says, they had a fairly niche audience. Never fully crossed over with the indie crowd, despite playing some festivals and getting a lot of press coverage for a time.

The UK music press at the time was absolute garbage though, tbh. They would massively big something up for a few months, and then drop it instantly when something else came along. The Goats got caught up in this. I remember loads of articles about them, Disposable Heroes and Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. which basically stopped overnight.

chairman and dan- it’s great to hear your take on this from when it came out

this happened in their city, 7 years before album came out…

the cover is great, like George grosz, some Weimar Germany thing- I need to dig out cd for the credits.
long album, but I don’t hear flab. highlight for me is the title track- incredible music and rapping.

I think the album art has always kept me off of it. Looks like some generic 2006 land-fill indie band type of thing.

haha, for generic 2006 landfill indie, this would be more what i’d think of…

imagehttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Hard-fi_-_Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_West.PNG

Yeah - I like the cover too. Very unusual for a rap album from 1992. Just had a look on Discogs and it was produced by Joe “the Butcher” Nicolo, who started Ruffhouse Records. I didn’t know anything about him but him and his brother seem to have been at least partly responsible for a lot of hip hop albums.

joe_nicolo

http://www.philnicolo.com/Phil_Nicolo_About.html

I think I like the cover, it’s just not what I would expect I guess.

Digging this. Too many influences to mention but i guess you could boil it down to like Cypress Hill meets De La Soul by way of The Coup?

so many damn skits (all of which belong in the HEAVY HANDED SATIRE thread). the actual songs are pretty good though, quite liking ‘got kinda hi’ and ‘wrong pot 2 piss in’ so far

Yes - by todays standards they are very heavy handed, but back in 1992, aged 15, they did prompt me to go and find out who Leonard Peltier was at Southend library. It also seemed quite original at the time too. But it’s a 70 minute album and they must take up about 15 minutes?

Really enjoying R U Down with Da Goats, TV Cops and Wrong Pot to Piss In (has quite a Muggs sound).

My absolute favourite at the time though was ¿Do the Digs Dug?. It retrospect it’s a little cheesy now, but I got nostalgic goosebumps when the Mission: Impossible sample came in (yes, yes, I know).

Wrong Pot to Piss In I think is the standout so far for me

jeeeeez

Yeah - pretty sure this was the other issue which put me off it at the time - I thought the skits were proper bad. Again though, think I was being a bit harsh. They range from fine to awful (I think I could happily live the rest of my life without ever hearing Georgie Bush Kids again), but don’t really distract from a pretty great record.

Pretty much come around completely from my knee-jerk reaction of about 25 years ago now, and rate this quite highly. Think it does sound dated - it couldn’t possibly have come out any other time other than the early 90s - but also think that it’s aged well, if that makes any sense.

Production is nice throughout. DJ Muggs is obviously a massive influence - think Joe the Butcher (thanks Chairman) probably listened to the first Cypress album on repeat for a while before putting this together - but tbf, that sound was absolutely massive back then, and this came out before Black Sunday, and House of Pain and Funkdoobiest’s first albums.

Think the rapping is actually pretty great as well, now. Fairly large Chuck D influence, but they do it well. Lyrically find them fairly impressive too. Originally had them down as just shouting slogans, but the lyrics are deeper than I gave them credit for.

Most of all though, I give them big respect form being able to pull off an overtly political album without coming off as didactic or preachy. It’s really difficult to do (in any genre) but can now add this to the handful of ‘political’ albums that I like and listen to regularly. Cheers again Furry!

CASUAL - FEAR ITSELF

Classics / Canon edition of the DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club