The Official DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

Stahhr- Almost Neva Was

found a download link

Never heard of her, what’s her story? Looks like this was her debut in 2008?

Got a bit behind on this guys, sorry. Started a new job and have had some family shit going on so only managed to get back here to briefly argue about Drake. Planning on spending some time on the last couple of picks this weekend.

In the meantime, I saw this tweet which I thought was really cool given all the Memphis influence chat up-thread:

Vaguely know of her from guest appearances on a couple of DOOM records but haven’t heard any of her stuff.

You can stream it on bandcamp

Yes! Thought I recognised her name. staHHr the Femcee.

Weird that DOOM doesn’t get a production credit on Still Dope, but on Born Like This he does.

This is really dope. Really liked Scienz of Life and those guys.

she is/ was an atlantan hat-maker.

yeah, this is 2008. don’t know if it’s a debut album, whether she put out mixtapes before this. the line is blurred sometimes. self-released, think that’s how she’s always done it.

where are you looking that doesn’t give doom a production credit? he is credited on her bandcamp and discogs

Where on Bandcamp? Saw it on Discogs but not there.

the two ‘h’s’ in stahhr’s name stand for hip-hip. she enjoyed books as a child and hearing rappers soon after cemented her love of words.

‘almost neva was’ has a looser boom bap sound. was thinking about how people here said that cyne didn’t sound like they were from florida, more new York. that boom bap sound was so big that maybe you could find people making it anywhere?

thought this might be a nice pick with that ‘female mc’s’ thread going on.

‘g.r.i.t.s.’ stood out on my latest listen. flow, lyrics.

the cover looks like in the style of black panther minister for culture, emory douglas.

strange, swore I saw it on the album page. says near the bottom here, though…