The Open Championship 2021

Golf’s last major championship of 2021 is upon us. This year taking place at Royal St. George.

Darren Clarke last won a major here in 2011. Some notable withdrawals due to Covid in Bubba Watson, Hideki Matsuyama and Zach Johnson.

Will you be watching? Who do you like to win it?

1 Like

I won’t be watching but will be following.

Going to stick a quid on Mickleprick @ 80/1. Possible.

2 Likes

Definitely worth a punt that, blimey

1 Like

Who’s got the weather report over that way? I like my Open Championships nice and windy.

Clear and calm apparently

1 Like

I live right very close to the course. There’s a nice public footpath through the course to the beach which I walk several times a year. It’s going to be a nice few days of sun but there will be a bit of wind, 13-17mph, which is not really windy but not calm either. Interesting fact - the sea used to go all the way to Sandwich 2 miles inland (there is a harbour of sorts there) as it was at the edge of the Wantsum Channel that cut off Thanet from the rest of the UK - silting caused the Channel to disappear in the Middle Ages and you now have the sand dunes that the course sits on.

Bit gutted I didn’t get tickets but was waiting until closer the time and then they reduced the ticket numbers and now none available. Gonna cycle down there and have a peak at some point as there is a road round the back of the course on the seafront which I know a few ways to get too.

4 Likes

Wow place looks gorgeous, lucky you! Feel free to send us some pics!

Looking forward to another lazy weekend watching this. Shame the weather looks quite nice as wanted to see some real struggles.

Can’t believe the odds on Rahm - 7-1!!! He’s playing great golf but that is a crazy price. I am going to out a few quid EW on Schauffelle, Hatton and Grace.

Oosthuizen 35-1 and Morikawa 40-1 look like they ought to have a solid chance. Good iron players and good major pedigree. Not sure I can see a British challenger this week, maybe Casey? He’s still very consistent.

One of the great things about the Open is it starts so early on Thursday and friday, going to squeeze in an hour or so before work. :+1:

1 Like

My picks based on absolutely no insight whatsoever, are:

Rory
Cameron smith
Cantlay
Will Zakatoris

Honestly nothing better in golf at the moment than watching DeChambeau hook a shot into the rough. I laugh every time

2 Likes

Got a mate who is stewarding on one of the holes. He’s been looking forward to this for two years.

1 Like

I’m gonna play golf at the weekend definitely

Book a 7am tee time, run around on my own
Bliss

2 Likes

The only thing worth betting on with Oosthuizen is that he’ll threaten to win and then just fall short

1 Like

hard to see past Montgomerie for this

1 Like

Obviously a bit early to celebrate, but y’know… I’d rather they were up here than down there.

Rip midnightpunk’s one quid

+10!

Lol - Cobra’s PR guy said Bryson acts like a ‘stupid 8 year old’

2 Likes

I noticed, last! Stuck a quid on Spieth.

1 Like

I can get some live free coverage on the Open app btw, if anyone wants to watch before it comes on bbc later. (I’m in Ireland though so not sure about Uk rights)