Dr Alimantado

3 Likes
2 Likes

*PhD in Advanced Body Moving

Amelia Fletcher.

1 Like
2 Likes

Forgot about this guy

Sorry pal, Surgeons are Mr or Mrs, not Dr (in the UK at least).

1 Like

What doctors do:

Ha ha, good point, though wouldn’t a surgeon usually have gained a PhD prior to wielding the scalpel?

Doesn’t look like it. Medical degree and some other bits but not doctors. Hence Mr or Mrs. Who knew?

Do PhD dropouts count?

1 Like

It’s a bit of reverse snobbery - historically surgeons were literally butchers, as they had the tools necessary to do amputations, which was just about the only operation going in medieval times. The physicians at the time refused to refer to them as doctors.

Now when a surgeons joins the Royal College (requiring extra exams post med-school), they actually drop the title Dr. Being called Mr again is something they’ve had to earn.

Then some of them do PhDs and become Drs again. Fickle bastards.

3 Likes

Yeah I know. I work at a hospital. When I call up a requesting doctor when looking at our computer system it might say for example Dr Smith. When you call him/her up and “Hello. Is that Dr Smith?” Occasionally you’d get a snooty consultant that’ll “correct” by saying “No. This is Mr Smith!”

Used to happen more 10 or 15 years ago. Virtually all consultants and surgeons nowadays are really nice men and women.