📷 The Photography Thread

Calling @rob.orch

There was a photography thread on here last week but it was a bit mean about photographs so I figured I’d start a proper one.

I’m starting to use Lightroom for the first time, trying to scrub up some photos so they’re ready for public consumption. Can I have some opinions on the below please, do they look natural, is there anything you’d change? Don’t hold back, I’m here to learn. It’s hard to get out of the habit of whacking the saturation up and banging it on Instagram.

The first photo below was just for practice, it’s not very good, but I like the bottom two (particularly my monkey pal)

original:

edit:

original:

edit:

Can’t find the original, balls

Would love to see photos from the rest of you!

OK, I’m going to start by saying that looking at stuff like this is very subjective, and one person’s view can be completely the opposite to the next person’s and neither is right, so first and foremost, process your photos the way that you want to (unless you’re doing selective colour of extreme HDR, both of which make the baby jesus cry).

Personally, I think you’ve pushed the edit a little bit too far on the first one. Lifting the shadows is good, but in doing so you’ve taken a bit of the warmth out of the original and left the face looking a bit grey and flat. Although whether I’d be saying that about the second photo if I hadn’t seen the first is another question.

The second shot is great - nice lines, subject in the centre, and it works well in b&w :slight_smile:

The third I’d have cropped a little differently to put the eyes at the centre of the shot, but getting an animal looking directly into the camera is a feat on it’s own.

Very much into photography too, still learning, also absolutely do not trust my own editing skills. Also need to learn Lightroom.

Really really like the edit on the first one, but compositionally is the light coming from the right direction?

Second one before and after looks a bit the same to me, but they both look good.

Third one, could be a little sharper, although I appreciate the limitations - so hard to get shallow depth of field and decent detail without really really expensive lenses. Still not sure what to do about this myself.

All three of them the subject is absolutely bang in the middle of the frame, have you thought about moving the framing about a bit?

Caveat: no offence at all is intended, just my thoughts, and I know nothing. I can’t even decide if I like my own stuff half the time.

Here’s my latest good shot, of the band Frost (which is Steve from Fujiya & Miyagi, and Jo Bramli, who’s another Brighton musician). Shot on my Bronica medium format on Kodak Portra 160, with a bit of editing in Photoshop Elements and Alien Skin Exposure:

And here’s a nice shot from the last gig I went to (Projector at the Green Door Store):

Ah I love Fujiya & Miyagi! Nice shot.

@billywhizz thank you both.

The first one was simply for practice, as it was very dark originally, I wanted to see if I could lighten things up and still have it look decent. The composition is trash, and the background is way too busy.

As for the framing, it’s just a coincidence with these three.

Going through every half-decent photo I’ve ever taken and editing them, gonna be a long old slog but I think it’ll be worth it in the long run.

Here’s one of mine, it looks a bit wonky because it wasn’t really possible to get the doorframe in the foreground straight and also the ones in the background, without some proper trickery, it was one or the other so I went for straighter foreground. Maybe I should just crop the foreground out altogether, but I liked that it was so many doors inside each other and a shot like this doesn’t fall in your lap very often.

I’m just editing some with the same problem, I guess if it isn’t completely correct when you’re taking the shot, it’s impossible to fix in post. I like it a lot though.

In terms of editing I think it’s top notch :slight_smile: . But you’ve got two completely opposing opinions so ultimately you’ve got to please yourself. It’s tough because I don’t get a lot of feedback on my photography and sometimes I don’t know if it’s just because what I’m doing is absolute trash, I think often what I photograph a lot of people just aren’t interested in (if it’s a portrait people always ask ‘WHY AREN’T THEY SMILING’, it’s really difficult to get people away from the expectation that everyone smiles in photos), and other people just think that photography as a whole has no value (see: recent thread).

I really like taking photos of things :slight_smile: only as an instagram hobby, but it’s very satisfying. (far more satisfying than taking selfies, even though I have an instagram for that as well)

I like ‘tunnel’ type shots where something stretches on into the distance, and I (sometimes) enjoy editing things until they take on a cartoonily over-edited quality

this is my favourite:

It looks like the further away bits are straighter with each other, so I’d probably crop / straighten just inside the first doorway like you suggest. Easy to say when I didn’t take the pic though.

As for going through old photos, my early shots are truly shocking (I should probably have a big delete of old stuff on Flickr) - get out there and take pictures now. Also, shoot raw files and edit from them - it’s much more forgiving and there’s a lot more information in the file, so you can salvage more detail from shadows, like @Juke was going for in the first post.

Yeah I’m in the same position, I have thousands of shots that need editing and I don’t even know where to start with the result that I am barely sharing anything at all, they’re all just sitting on my computer :frowning:

I think you could fix it with Lightroom but I don’t have the expertise to do it yet. I don’t think it would have been possible to get right at the time because ultimately the floors and walls in that very old building are at different angles, it’s never going to be perfect so you just do the best you can (also, it’s not posed, the girl was walking away from me at a fairly sharp pace and I was only able to get one shot).

Don’t tell @1000YearBanFFS, but I keep my camera on burst mode, just in case I spot something like this.

Yes you’re right I think the doors inside the shot need to be straighter, sometimes I have several goes at editing something and pick the one I like best and I need to re-do this one. I tend to overdo the contrast and saturation and then have to bin it and start again, looks like I’m not alone in that one! Especially with black and white, it feels like the contrast is never high enough, it’s always ‘variations of grey’ rather than ‘black and white’.

Yeah I should use burst more, I use it sometimes with something that’s moving quickly (or big group shots because someone always has their eyes closed…) but by the time I switch it from ‘single’ to ‘burst’ the moment has gone :wink:

Gonna buy a proper camera I think

They look nice, and the portrait looks cool, even if that is not how you take a photograph.

Ooh this has reminded me I need to edit my photos from a castle I visited. That’s this weekend sorted :slight_smile:

The quality of the photos is determined by the lens more than the camera so if you already have an SLR you don’t need a new one but you could aim for a new lens. Macro is where I started off (only don’t do it now because I ran out of spiders and insects to photograph) so a macro lens will probably help you more than getting a new camera would.

I agonised for ages when I got my first SLR because of the cost but it’s one of the best decisions I ever made and I’m still using the same one now. I knew very little about the technical side when I started but learned from trial and error.