šŸ“· The Photography Thread

One from earlier this week - typical February scenes at the Undercroftā€¦

8 Likes

First medium format shoot of the year tomorrow (I hope - the band arenā€™t exactly communicative)

2 Likes

I bloody love my Bronica. This is with no edits, no sharpening, no colour work, not even a crop, straight off the scanner (before even the band have seen it)

5 Likes

One of the best photographers in the U.K IMHO said some photos I took were beautiful and I canā€™t stand up

2 Likes

and tell us who the photographer was!

edit - that makes it sound like I was suggesting that you didnā€™t take your photos. Which wasnā€™t my intention. I meant who it was that said your pics were beautiful.

Iā€™ll hopefully have a zine of stuff sorted in the next few months. Will put a few pictures here then and iā€™ll send any out if anyone wants any.

1 Like

It was a sunday shoot for me this weekend, which meant that the local developers werenā€™t open - Iā€™ll be picking up my film on Thursday. It was a bit blowy, and the singer from the band I shot had long straight blonde hair. I took a few shots which embraced the windiness, so hopefully theyā€™ll look cool and not that I just was snapping regardless of the conditions.

1 Like

While Iā€™m waiting for that film to come back, hereā€™s one more from the weekend before:

Imgur

2 Likes

Anyone shoot on a Sony? Specificially Sony A7S ii?

Can I use manual focus in auto mode? Just donā€™t have time to reacquaint myself with photography before a shoot (got so used to just taking my phone out instead and/or just doing daylight shots of buildings in good light) and the auto on this is REALLY good, so it suits my tight timeframe and I feel happy I can just rely on the camera to do a lot of the work. But having some issues with focus and those C1/C2 buttons are confusing me (coming from a film photography background anyway, digital terrifies me).

So C1 is critical focus and I can use that to override in auto?

TL;DR

I donā€™t shoot Sony, but theyā€™re renowned for being able to mount non Sony lenses, and all other systems have a manual / auto focus switch on the lens themselves, so Iā€™m fairly sure that would be the case with Sony lenses too.

More here, from people who know: How to use the AF/MF on sony lens? Can switch it and use either MF or AF regardless camera setting?: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

1 Like

Itā€™s such a great camera (unsurprisingly given the price of it).

Thanks for the link :ok_hand:

I was wondering what youā€™d used for your water shots.

I had a Casio underwater digital about ten years ago but it was terrible. These days I have a sealed bag (not quite a hard case) that I put my Canon G9X digital compact in, and Iā€™ve got a Canon A1Sureshot underwater film camera too.

Yeah, my mate Finn (who runs Brighton Photography Gallery) started off with an Olympus Tough for his water stuff and only upgraded because he wanted something with more mega pixels so he could print big enough to go on the walls of the gallery.

As with anything, itā€™s as much about how you use the light and post processing as the camera itself.

1 Like

Visited Vila Tugendhat here in Brno today. Stunning place, photos do not do it justice at all. The detail and the concepts are something else. And the lighting, my word :heart_eyes:

00%204

9 Likes

Thatā€™s nice. You could work for a magazine with photos like that.

Iā€™ve become rubbish at focussing. also cause Iā€™m a semi tall boy and I donā€™t want to take
Photos where people look mini I have to do a Theresa May curtesy and I become wobbly. I donā€™t like tripods though. Hmm.

haha thanks but thatā€™s crazy talk. it is one of the most photogenic places Iā€™ve been to!

1 Like

I tried out some double exposures at the marathon at the weekend, using my big medium format. I wasnā€™t too convinced but my sitter half looked at the two I processed and raves about them, so :man_shrugging:

Thereā€™s a colour one on Instagram too

4 Likes

Itā€™s bluebell / rapeseed season in Sussex at the moment, which means time to point my 135 f2 at things other than bands:

RZ9A1459es

9 Likes

What was that shot with @stickboy? Iā€™m guessing something you could control the exposure with given that your whites are crisp (which would probably show up overexposed on a histogram)