📷 The Photography Thread

if anything, that sounds like it might be a driver setting, and it’s just picking up the red channel from your scanner. On the opening screen , mine automatically picks up that a Canon 9000F is connected (or won’t start if the scanner is turned off)

I should print out more photos. The only photos I print out these days are toddler pics.

Fair enough

1 Like

One of the first shots with my new 100-300 lens, on my old Canon AE-1. Pretty happy with this:

3 Likes

Another surf pic. Why couldn’t I have got into surf photography 25 years ago when I could have made a career of it?

8 Likes

Yeah, the trip is an outside camera really, where the light will be good enough that imperfect focus can be forgiven.

I’m currently trying to figure out which film compact to take to Oz - the Trip probably has the best lens, but like you say, has manual focus challenges. The XA2, has zone focussing and is quite lo fi, so that’s a maybe. The LT-1 is in the lead at the moment - autofocus, sharper than the XA2, and lighter than the trip too.

And then once I choose a camera, then I’ve got film choices too. I’m thinking negative film in the Canon AE-1, slide film in the compact.

these are the ones i was on about other week. probably blurry on a laptop screen, look decentish on mobile tho.

colourful fence around abandoned school playground

dead tree reflected in puddle behind my flat

really like the 2nd one tbh

4 Likes

erk, dunno what happened there

Is that from the Mju II or the Trip?

I’ve got an XA2, which is more of a point and shoot than the XA. All you need to do is zone focus (the options are face, body and mountain). When it’s good it’s great though:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_orchard/28885400990/

1 Like

That’s one of the great things about the trip - you might have to manually focus, but it absolutely nails the exposure. I’ve got quite a few shots where I’ve thrown in some lens flare (after half pressing the shutter to get the exposure, then recomposing to let the sun in). For most cameras, this shot shouldn’t have worked (and I can tell you for sure that it wasn’t 100% intentional, because it was taken on my birthday when I’d have been drinking all afternoon), but there you go:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_orchard/9505852675/

1 Like

I think it’s more likely to be a scratch or something on the lens, exposed onto the film because of the lens flare, which you wouldn’t see unless you were flaring.

Just got the all clear from my other half to go on one of these workshops next year. Woo! Who says I can’t pretend to be a proper surf photographer!

https://theplastic-project.com/2017/08/22/surf-and-environmental-photography-workshops/

1 Like

Stuart Mogwai last night:

9 Likes

IMG_4720

7 Likes

9 Likes

Can I get some book recommendations please? My niece has just started A-level photography and she has absolutely fallen in love with it :heart_eyes:
I’d like to get her a cool photography book for Christmas. Something fun I guess, not too dry.
Any good recs to nurture the enthusiasm?

1 Like

IME, the best photography books are the ones that you rather than ones that inspire you. I love music and surf photography, and some of my favourite books are these:

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/music/all/05779/facts.jane_serge_a_family_album.htm

I won’t be a better photographer by reading a book about aperture - I’ll become a better photographer by being inspired. Those books are just my thing. Has she said what sort of photography she likes? Maybe pick up the Wildlife Photographer of the year book?

2 Likes

The Gerry Badger book The Genius of Photography is quite a good general introduction.
BUT. I think they might be sold out in a lot of places. It used to be in Waterstones and I’d see it everywhere. Comes with a dvd too.

2 Likes

Guess who’s only had about two hours sleep in the last 48 hours?

That should have read - the best photo books aren’t the ones that teach you but the ones that inspire you.

My point being, the essentials needed to take a photo are quite straightforward, but the subtleties of composition and developing your own style comes from looking at a lot of other peoples photos.

1 Like

Thanks! That first night was my first time using a Fuji mirrorless camera- so much fun to use! Am resisting spamming this thread with more shots… Ok, one more :wink:

DSCF0739-3

2 Likes