The Point At Which People Stopped Caring About Veteran Bands Output

Hardcore Will Never Die says otherwise

10 Likes

Anyone no one has read the OP or replied properly

1 Like

I was feeling the same until Wolfroy goes to town. There’s some of Will Oldham’s best stuff on there for me.

Agreed - lots of replies are actually “when I stopped liking them” and as for the Eels reply I would be RIGHT there. But that aint it, is it. I stopped liking Flaming Lips as and from the Soft Bulletin but they only play songs since then (bar Jelly) so that isn’t the answer. Is it.

Embryonic was fucking incredible and The Terror wasn’t too far behind it.

6 Likes

For me it’s “Kill” - I know it can be considered sort of a gimmick but I think they completely nailed the no repetition thing and it really keeps the song escalating. It’s a perfect pop-rock song, or whatever you want to call it. I’m also a sucker for any song with that chord progression, I can’t help it.

2 Likes

Their latest, Every Country’s Sun, is feckin great too… get back in the game @worrier1

6 Likes

I still need to get a bit more familiar with middle-period Mogwai, but at this moment I might even say Every Country’s Sun is the second best one behind CODY.

1 Like

In the words of @JohnM

“All music board threads are just people listing bands they like”

or something like that.

Dunno, think this might cover the OP. Absolutely nobody wants a new Muse album but most would go see a Best Of set of everything up to that point I’d say

2 Likes

Arcade fire - funeral

1 Like

Glad I saw them on the Suburbs tour, tbf. Felt like a greatest hits set, with no ‘time for a pint’ moments. Can’t imagine I’ll see them again.

They played a show at Primavera last year and I just walked away as they were setting up. No time for them anymore.

Saw the York Hall gig and it was very much my “goodbye to Arcade Fire” moment. I missed the Funeral tour and had longed to see them in a super intimate venue, and tbf, apart from the new stuff it was a properly brilliant and cathartic send off.

Thnks fr th mmrs lads but you’re U2 circa Pop, generally embarrassing all around and the only way is down from here.

I agree about Primal Scream. I keep buying the albums, but i barely even give them much of a listen now. ‘Riot City Blues’ also just seems to get worse as time goes by.

I don’t know much about his music but do people really care for Springsteen’s newer output at live shows, what was his last decent/relevant record?

Yeah, i remember seeing them at Glasgow QMU just before RCB came out. It was weird how Throb just disappeared and they didn’t really mention it for years. Did Throb play on the album? Throb always seemed like one of those members who probably wasn’t that important musically, but he was the soul of the band in many ways.

Absolutely agree with Binaural - some belters on there. Apparently there’s an ‘alternate’ tracklist out there which the band intended to use and ditched which is even better? Or maybe it was fan-made with B-sides etc.

I think for me it’s when a band releases a new album and people/review say it’s a ‘return to form’ - it basically means they’ve fucked it and are looking for relevancy again.

1 Like

Magic was decent - think that was 2007. Everything since has been poor.