The Politics Bar (POST election thread)

Or team names from The Apprentice. i.e. something that was last quantifiably popular in the 2000s.

Aspire!
Apex!
Kinetic!
Dynamo!
Ignite!
Invictus!
Phoenix!

Now hang on! They definitely had a second issue - what about the third runway at Heathrow?

Can you recall their stance on it? No, nor can anyone else :wink:

Manplosion

1 Like

I do as it happens, as I come from SW London! View from the ground…

This was the hill Zac Goldsmith chose to die on, as he’d pledged to resign if the government went ahead with expanding Heathrow. They did, so he resigned, then lost the by-election to a LD no-mark (who also opposed expansion, but wasn’t Zac Goldsmith).

But then he crawled back to the Tories anyway and regained the seat this year by a wafer-thin margin (smaller than the number of people who spoiled their ballots iirc ffs). The Tories are still going ahead with Heathrow, but Zac doesn’t care because nobody’s looking at him and his total lack of principles because something something Corbyn DUP Venezuela.

tl;dr Zac Goldsmith is a typical unprincipled Tory helmet and Lib Dems are opposed to loud noise

1 Like

On which note - I still haven’t got over how Goldsmith allowed Crosby to paint him as a racist.

1 Like

He probably is a racist. His dad was one of the most unpleasant people imaginable, suspect Zac is just better at hiding it

2 Likes

No idea if he’s racist himself - though he certainly is a privileged, unprincipled posho who would have been a terrible mayor. Representing a constituency made up largely of deer is as far as he should go in politics

6 Likes

Even better than I was expecting

https://twitter.com/benton_dan/status/940506130891116545

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

worst guest list ever

5 Likes

Incidentally with a couple of exceptions, it’s largely a list of people I DON’T want anywhere near the cabinet ever again.

1 Like

A return to Victorian values.

Jesus Christ, if all of these people share common political ground then it just illustrates how fucking bankrupt British politics really is. Left? Right? It doesn’t matter! You don’t have to believe in anything except vague commitment to free markets and looking after your own!

1 Like

tbf if they got together it’d make it easier to find them all come the revolution

1 Like

So…

#1 examples of irreparable damage to PMs from which they couldn’t recover.

Maggie - Poll Tax
Major - Black Wednesday
Blair - Iraq
Brown - ‘Spending all the money’ (banking/financial crisis)
(Clegg - Tuition fees)
Cameron - Brexit
May - More Brexit?

Any amendments?

Brown’s a funny one cos if he’d called an early-ish election rather than bottling it he probably would have won and then would have had more of a chance to weather the financial crisis (although being chancellor under Blair possibly meant he was doomed regardless). As it was, that crisis was the thick dollop of icing on a cake that was crumbling in all directions by the time he was bumped. Not entirely dissimilar to Major, I suppose.

Have we already seen the start of May’s downfall, or is the best (i.e. worst) yet to come?

the worst is always yet to come with this murder of hustlers and fuckwits.

Trying to imagine the bubble you’d have to live in, in order to genuinely think this list looks mouth-watering to the public in 2018. It’s orbiting Saturn at least.

4 Likes

SELLING OFF ALL THE GOLD!! surely

4 Likes