The Politics Bar (POST election thread)

Actually politics is a funny business right now, this could go either way. If by the end of the A50 timeline public opinion is of a mind that the old Brexit shiz has been dealt with competently then we could see a May revival.

This must be balanced against the fact a much more likely outcome is her being disemboweled and eaten live on television by the right flank of her party.

Had he called the election in 2007 (and won), he’d have been looking at another election in 2012, when the Euro crisis was at its peak, and when any spending cuts were taking place (albeit lower than under the ConDem government).

Don’t forget that in 2010, when the election was called, the economy was recovering

I was going to say this. Brown was (financial crisis aside) the victim of a lot of shit that was building up through Blair’s era hitting the fan all at once, plus the fact that New Labour as a whole was running out of ideas. He didn’t handle some of it well, but ordinarily he wouldn’t have had to deal with quite a bit of it at all.

The next season of I’m a Celebrity… is going to be even worse than I imagined then!

And he raided everyone’s pensions don’t forget that.

“Just some bigoted woman.”

…was probably not a real ‘downfall’ thing in and of itself, but it feels like the embodiment of all that shit.

I was just starting to think of defining moments (as opposed to more general political issues/errors) and this and Cameron’s pig thing both sprung to mind in that vein. Clegg’s would probably be the rose garden press conference I suppose, May’s will likely be the “nothing has changed” press conference.

Blair on GWBs golf buggy?

And/or Blair getting confronted about waiting times outside a hospital?

You see the image in my mind from Blair’s era is the Prescott egging…

Blair getting a slow handclap from the WI was pretty epic bants. (At the time).

Is this basically an attempt to create a US style democratic party?

It’s an attempt to fix politics for ever by having everyone on all sides join one party. Except those nasty Corbinistas.

Saddest thing I’ve ever seen etc

The Blair era for me is the guy from Chumbwamba chucking water at Two Jags at the Brits

Surely it’s Two Jags punching the egg thrower.

4 Likes

Two Jags waggling his bum at the Brits at the memory of Diana while meeting Noel Gallagher at Number 10 and getting five stars in Q

Here it is (click on the link to expand the thread):

1 Like

Heh, lovely stuff.

Those are not facts. Might I say Geoff that you consider polling a bit too much.

Fair enough, on both counts.

3 Likes