The Politics Bar (POST election thread)

uhmmmm fuck off?

4 Likes

I read this book recently and the Kosovo chapter reminded me of this story. really wonder what Blairā€™s general legacy and the wider narrative on intervention would be if the Iraq war had never happened. (itā€™s not just the Guardian creating a pro-Blair narrative in the article eitherā€¦ him, Clinton and Dubya are legitimately extremely popular over there. hero welcomes, statues, billboards, roads named after them, etc.)

Itā€™s like a cargo cult.

And you wonder how he developed a Messiah complex strong enough to make him massage unreliable evidence and join up with the US to start a war thatā€™s fucked geo-politics to this day?

The guy is spot on when it comes to Brexit, and understands the issues at stake far more than anyone in the government or opposition leadership. Just a shame so many people think heā€™s a cunt.

thatā€™s a great article.

youā€™ve probably already read this but iā€™ll put it here anyway since weā€™re vaguely on the subject. iā€™m a total mark for the yugoslav wars. this is also good:

Labour group urges party to do more to appeal to the English. Group says party must be as strong in celebrating English patriotism as it is in championing Scottish and Welsh issuesā€¦

Labour champion Scottish issues? Somebody should tell the Scottish electorate that placed them third, behind the Tories, at each of the last three elections up here. Labour in Scotland are a fucking shower.

Anyway, Iā€™m very much looking forward to seeing this lot squirm their way around promoting ā€œEnglish patriotismā€ while decrying the ā€œnasty nationalismā€ of the SNP (now matter how internationalist it is) but championing ruddy gruddy Great British Anything (which is definitely never ever under any circumstances British Nationalism no siree).

Althoughā€¦ theyā€™re not so very far away from something worthwhile. But rather than these MPs framing the issue in terms of Scotland-this, Wales-that, or NI-the-other, the root problem is closer to home.

Westminster is not fit for purpose and the UK is a democratic joke because of it.

And until Labour go all-in on setting up an English parliament to finish off the half-arsed and skewed devolution job that Blair dashed off, then theyā€™re in an odd place, philosophically. Because Labour will never out-Yoon the Con & Unionist Party, and the Lib Demsā€™ supposed federalism is a lie, and the British Labour Party are seemingly inherently incapable of supporting Scottish independence.

erm, this guy might be taking things a bit far

https://twitter.com/brendanjharkin/status/887253947026747392

Canā€™t fault the logic here:

https://twitter.com/schmrn/status/887293181955592192

Who is Andrew Spooner?

Like, he doesnā€™t seem to do anything other than get owned on twitter.

1 Like

I donā€™t think heā€™s anyone notable within Labour or associated groups etc., heā€™s just a loud idiot.

Yeah just seems to be up for a big rumble with that Zarb-Cousin guy over nothing at all?

He makes out that heā€™s part of the party machine and the commentariat, and has been for years, but all I can see of him on-line is a one or two online articles from half a decade ago.

Yeah I recently went through the same thought process and exercise and reached the same conclusion, because his name kept coming up. Thought he might have been an advisor to someone or something or some comms person at Progress but nope. Seems to enjoy dishing it out but as soon as someone gives him a piece back he calls the police? Seems like a strange dude.

Thereā€™s a whole clutch of figures that seem to be in that category, but I suspect itā€™s only because of the particular bubble Iā€™m in.

Yeah heā€™s been digging up stuff online about him, his past, his family even etc. which is really wide of the mark. I mean I think Matt Zarb-Cousinā€™s both a) decent and b) in need of his neck winding in atm but this Spooner chapā€™s agitations seem well out of order.

1 Like

Maybot malfunctions again

https://twitter.com/DanCardenMP/status/887660350706941954

(Why arenā€™t twitter links working for me?)

1 Like

Love how wound up Dan Hannan is over this

His Twitter feed reads as if itā€™s a parody account.

2 Likes

itā€™s incredible heā€™s actually a member of a mainstream party and Iā€™m not sure about what all his amateur historical researching is about either.