The return of “indie sleaze”

Whatever next?!

Indie Sleeze
  • A term I have been familiar with for a long time
  • A term I have become familiar with in the last week
  • A term I have never heard before
0 voters

Had absolutely no idea what it was until I caught up with that LCD thread. Still don’t know what it is actually

1 Like

Is it the DiS equivalent of Tory Sleaze?

1 Like

is it just people looking cool (or “cool”) while not washing as much as they maybe should?

I hadn’t heard the term before either. Mentioned this to the writer on Twitter and wondered if it was something that skewed to female fashion press at the time?

Why shower when someone can throw warm Red Stripe all over you?

3 Likes

As in the landfill thread if ‘‘indie sleaze’’ is just another name for unchecked male ego, then no, it won’t return (and good riddance). If it means people start wearing topshop ties again and going on about Camden, then maybe and I’ll hate it.

6 Likes

Have read/heard this term more times (approx. 10000) in the last week than I ever did at the time (0).

14 Likes

Guess it’s a handy shortcut to describe a scene that never really had a name. That early 00s indie-rock thing was a huge part of British youth culture at the time.

2 Likes

^this

It’s only the revival of the look that has been badged with the name, really.

Summary of other articles, here:

1 Like

I’ve been following the instagram account for months but, as a term last Tuesday. It’s worth looking at the instagram account because the period and what it was about is quite specific which I think is about to get bent by the media. I’d say it’s almost more the nu-rave, Justice, Ed Banger, Kitsune Maison period than when the Strokes, the Libertines came up.

1 Like

4 Likes

Might be finally time for The Towers of London HGATR? thread

6 Likes

absolutely nobody used the term indie sleaze until people decided there is a revival of indie sleaze

36 Likes

Is this a London thing? This feels like a London thing.

11 Likes

Middle aged columnists love declaring Gen Z are bringing something back, when really they’ve just seen a few social media posts.

13 Likes

Genuinely think nu rave and cross era justice should come back

7 Likes

I think how it works is the clothes came back in then fashion editors decided it needed a handy identifier. The music already had one (landfill) but that couldn’t really apply to what people were wearing

2 Likes

So long as it’s Justice & Simian Mobile Disco at Jilly’s again why not.

1 Like