The return of “indie sleaze”

2011 record it’s allowed. Something that is a minor irk, to the point I’ve probably said it further up, is that the dates are 2007-2011 early New York doesn’t count. Seems to have been lost since the press got hold of it. It’s now just 2001–2015 or seems to be.

Had a mini argument about this recently. Something came up about this scene and I was like oh yeah, apparently all of that was called indie sleaze, but that definitely wasn’t a term at the time etc. But they were like erm, actually indie sleaze is about the problematic men of that time and they would not back down. I was quite drunk so I think I told them if that was true then they were being quite indie sleaze about it themselves. Anyway, I don’t want to have this term in my life. Indie sleaze. Awful. Go away.

15 Likes
1 Like

Id rather have indie cheese tbh

cheese sleaze for me, please.

:cheese:

2 Likes

I thought we just called these people ‘hipsters’?

2 Likes

Indie sleaze = Skins second generation, Camden, George-at-Asda trilbies, MySpace, meow meow
Hipsters = I don’t have a TV actually, Hackney, vintage/designer hats, the internet is shit, meow meow

6 Likes

Ahhhh okay, I get it now, cheers!

1 Like
1 Like

One of the people or the primary architects that made Being A Dickhead’s Cool now:

https://instagram.com/reubendangoor

1 Like

• Indie Sleaze
  • Hipster
  • Just a bellend
0 voters

Nathan Barley just a band

5 Likes

• Indie Sleaze
  • Hipster
  • Annoying

0 voters

Hipsters weren’t a thing, it was just a lazy shorthand to criticise things, lots of which went mainstream anyway.

3 Likes

Never heard the term but immediately feel like it describes me circa 2008

Hipsters have always and will always be a thing. Go to any city with an art school in the last fifty years and you’ll find hipsters.

5 Likes

Hipsters definitely were a thing. The rest is true too though

2 Likes

Term from the 1920’s isn’t it?

Mainstream views on hipsters is just the same as their views on emo or goth or any subculture. What they label as those things are nearly always nothing like the original use of the term, to the point where it’s bastardised beyond all recognition.

4 Likes