The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

on the quality control thing, yeah, but his whole schtick is playing overblown rock music, and on Siamese Dream & Mellon Collie it worked. It started to slip on Adore but it’s such a hearthbreaking album it gets away with it. After that peak though it’s hard to stop doing what your style is I guess?

1 Like

Yeah I’m sticking with it because the Bridge is good and I am committed to the cause but it’s still going and it’s still awful.

Also Billy the state of your lyrics on this song mate

1 Like

Pumpkins formed in 88, so a year after Nirvana. I also specified Nirvana were better than other bands too meaning non-contemporary bands.

It’s not my fault you guys are doing the unpossible here

3 Likes

It’s a sad state of affairs when an album I haven’t listened to in about ten years prompts me to skip so many songs when they’re two thirds done.

I’d just rather listen to Manson or NIN :frowning:

yes, I know, but I’m talking in terms of zeitgeist trendmaking at the time where it goes “Nirvana, then Smashing Pumpkins” as the biggest US rock bands in the early-to-mid 90s

It does end well though. With that cool guitar riff burried under the noise. I’ll give you that

This time - heart of a good song here but God the production on this album is pish, everything sounds too sludgy and not in a good way. Probably the best song so far apart from stand inside your love obviously.

That’s only because Nirvana weren’t around to write way better rock songs :wink:

It’s also not how contemporary works when used in a sentence like I did.

Anyway I will of course accept your thanks for single-handedly making @anon73286315 get this thread going again :grinning:

2 Likes

All of these songs could have done with a trim. Brevity is wit and all that.

1 Like

yeah, maybe, but it’s the way things happened.

and no problem, what else am I going to do on this sunny sunday off? (I should really go outside)

1 Like
  1. This Time - Has nice melodies, nice structure, nice vocal performance and a nice guitar lick carrying the later half of the song. But nothing stands out, it’s lifeless. I think the constant droning distortion on this album is really starting to hurt these songs and smothering everything so nothing pop’s out. Solid radio friendly rock song that could’ve been so much more 6/10
1 Like

:fire::fire::fire:HOT TAKE COMING THROUGH :fire::fire::fire:

Heavy Metal Machine isn’t that bad you guys

3 Likes

The final 20seconds are ace! The Bridge at the start is ace.
But the other 5mins :face_vomiting:

9 - The Imploding Voice - Oh this just sounds awful. Is that REALLY Jimmy behind the drums? OH MY GOD is this really worse than Heavy Metal Machine? I think it might be. What the fuck is this? Why don’t I remember this. This is like all the worst aspects of the albums production and sound wrapped up into one, how did this demo take end up on the album? 1/10

1 Like

The imploding voice - I really genuinely love the album as an art form. I do use shuffle a lot but I love nothing more than sitting down to listen to an album from start to finish. Seeing how songs work next to each other and feed off their context but… Corgan, mate you testing me here.

There’s just no way that I as a human being in 2018, 38 years of age, can justify/enjoy listening to this album from start to finish. This song is wank. Wonky discordant synths can’t disguise the fact that this is a status quo b-side.

Liking how we are reading from the same script here in a totally accidental way.

2 Likes

It just really does sound like a demo, like no one touched the recording and they just threw it on there for the sake of it.

This song is nearly ten minutes long…

1 Like