The Rise of Sonic Youth!

They looked like this, I think you could get away with it!

1 Like

They don’t even look very talented

1 Like

Nah man everyone knows talent can be directly linked to number-of-stickers-on-guitar

not sure what the “but” is doing in this sentence but sure

Oh boy

1 Like

Dino Jr can write some cracking tunes and still not be in Neil’s league, s’allimsayin. Not a fair comparison

we’ve covered this in the proper hot takes thread but, they wrote one good song and did a good Cure cover

also while we are at it. I don’t get The Clash at all really. London Calling is a good song but otherwise??

4 Likes

You aren’t going to out-troll me today

see above

Ah fuck you’ve just gone and done it

1 Like

actually white riot is a good song too but otherwise “eh?”

I’d argue for London Calling to be the best album of all time (if anyone still thought that was a worthwhile discussion to have) so take from that what you will.

Also that track is maybe the …fifth best song on the album?

well you threw down at my best band so

The Clash are fucking terrible. Dinosaur Jr are amazing.

4 Likes

thats a crazy thing to believe

1 Like

The best song released in the 80s (also that face hahaha :smiley: )

I wasn’t trying to dismiss them, I was more so criticizing the idea that they’re not songwriters and the existence of an argument like that in the first place. They’re obviously incredibly influential, I just think the bands that they influenced (especially the two you mentioned) do what they were trying to do much, much, much better (but don’t / won’t get the same praise from a historical standpoint).

I think more than any other band, they get an automatic “oh, well that’s not what they were trying to do” defense. That can apply sometimes, but I think it’s fair to say there was at least one stretch in their career where they were trying to write a great rock album.

1 Like

I don’t mind that famous Dino jr album and I tried another one but it does seem like the exact same song in 20 different variations.

London Calling, Rudie Can’t Fail, Spanish Bombs, lost in the supermarket, loads of others on that album I’ve forgotten that seem really emotional and varied to me.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

1 Like