The Scottish Politics and Independence Thread 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

It’s genuinely depressing that by comparison to our neighbours a tiny bit of centre-left policy can be considered progressive.

5 Likes

I’d say on the contrary that given it’s been pitched as a relatively tight and fraught contest, that suggests that one-third of the membership don’t care enough about the rights of disadvantaged communities enough to bother casting a vote against candidates who have been vocal about wanting to roll them back.

And that should be hugely concerning for the progressive wing within the party that’s been the most effective at pushing progressive politics forward in recent years within the UK (albeit a clearly awful field). (apologies for an unwieldy sentence there)

3 Likes
3 Likes

Initially thought this was a ridiculous headline to write about the biggest party of the last however many years - then thought I wouldn’t blink if I saw someone writing it about the Tories, that just because you have power doesn’t mean you’re being a success

Still though, seems like a lot to claim “failure“ about a party that just keeps winning in the recent past

Cole Hamilton eh

2 Likes

Just as a run down:

SNP 2023: 70%
Con 2022 (Truss): 82%
Con 2019: 87%
Con 2005: 78%
Lab 2020: 62%
Lab 2016: 77%
Lab 2015: 76%
Lab 2010: 71%
LibDem 2020: 57%
LibDem 2019: 72%
LibDem 2015: 56%
LibDem 2007: 64%

(not counting unopposed elections that didn’t go to the membership)

TBF they wouldn’t tell us much about voter turnout :thinking:

So a bit lower than the majority of Labour and Tory leadership votes, although I’d say my suprise about the turnout still applies for the majority of those Labour ones. Weirdly impressed with the recent Tory ones given it was obvious who was going to win.

LDs not really caring seems on the money though

1 Like

Reckon you have to be a proper weirdo obsessive to be a Tory party member though.

They’re all probably wannabe county councillors who don’t want to be caught not voting.

3 Likes

Ha, yeah. Isn’t theirs relatively small as well because so many previous members are dead I guess

1 Like

Tories know you win by voting.

They’ve got that much right.

4 Likes

Forbes OUT

9 Likes

Good.

6 Likes

He becomes Scotland’s youngest first minister, at the age of 37, and the first Muslim to lead a major UK party.

Shade on Anas Sarwar and his party, there. Ouch.

1 Like

First Emo First Minister

5 Likes

Nice.

Missed opportunity for a finger hovering over the top o’ the tower comedy perspective photo, though.

Bye.

1 Like

Humza has a face that suggests a profound kindness…I think he is going to win the lot for Scotland. Independence, autonomy and the dream of Peace On Earth. :ok_hand:

All for Scottish independence but only because it will upset lots of Home Counties fascists. Beyond that I do not really know what the Scots would get out of it, but good luck to them all the same.