The Shins

New album

1 Like

song’s not doing anything for me

Yeah I saw them around that time - I think they were on a three or four-way bill (one of these NME things). Distinctly underwhelming.

god thats awful. sound like a fucking of montreal tribute act now.

Their first 3 albums are absolutely amazing.

1 Like

wub wub. think we can write this one off

Did you see that there is So Now What in the tracklist? I didn’t knew it

No idea if it’s on there, but it’s the song I’ve liked the most since Port of Morrow that’s not called Simple Song, so if they’ve got any sense they’d put it on there

1 Like

I agree

Can I say something really wanky here and postulate that essentially bands and musicians are their context, and that subsequently their songs capture a set of predetermined cultural influences and a specific moment in time, and that bands become really crap when they try and ‘catch up’ with whatever happens ten years after people dug them. I guess I feel bad because I know everyone needs change and they probably need to be seen to grow but doing it in a way that seems inauthentic is worse than not doing it at all.
Ta. I still like oh inverted world though.

I like these new songs and am looking forward to the new album. Dude’s voice is a thing of beauty.

2 Likes

Will someone go to Shins’ gig at London (Apollo Theatre)? Does someone sell his standing ticket? They’re sold out :frowning:

Verdict on this? I actually think it’s ok. It’s better than Port of Morrow for me, though that album perhaps had better individual standouts. Amiable is probably the only real way to describe it. Obligatory needless ranking would now go:

Oh Inverted World > Chutes > Wincing > Heartworms > Morrow

1 Like

Oh Inverted World is by far thier best lyrically. It’s my personal favourite. Also cause it’s a bit sparser and different. Chutes too Narrow is more of a straight forward indie rock album. A very good one at that.

Honestly for me the Shins Amanda Modest Mouse occupy the same space. As in they are still capable of churning out some amazing songs but seem to be unable to make a coherent quality album that doesn’t just sound like most of it is filler. Or better produced but worse variations of what’s gone before.

I mean Simple Song was just a brilliant pop tune but Port of Morrow was underwhelming. Can someone just direct me to the songs that shine on this one so I can skip the rest of the album?

Some unfair reviews, so far. This is at a level well above of those records included in the “best new/hyped music”, aka Jay Som, Vagabon, …

I recommend swapping out the first track Name for you for the ‘flipped’ version that got released last week, much better track and start to the album for me.

Other songs I like so far were painting a hole, cherry hearts, half a million, dead alive and so now what. Not sure about the rest yet but they all stood out.

New album bored me. Hated port of morrow at the time. First three albums are still brilliant. First alt American band I really got into as a kid through a skater buddy

I quite like Port of Morrow…

3 Likes

Mildenhall is my fave song of the year I think.

Album is squishy, I think I like it.

1 Like