The Strokes

Watched the first twenty minutes of this just there. Going to watch the rest later. They looked like they’re really enjoying themselves there! Thanks for posting it!

just came across this

Happily got an early copy of Meet Me In The Bathroom (the book that the extract up above is taken from) - its fucking terrific. As someone with just more than a passing interest in The Strokes it’s been completely, wildly illuminating. As someone interested in indie rock of the time it’s essential.

Mainly so fun, so informative and so compulsive - with deep, bar-based context about nightlife in New York/the bands of the time. Have torn through 250 pages in a couple of days with still over half to go - keeps getting more and more fascinating. Also goes some way towards explaining why so many of those bands could never hope to replicate their early successes. Out next month I think - highly recommended.

Haven’t read this article yet but remember an Is This It oral history Pitchfork did a few years ago. Will give it a read later.

I was a huge fan of them at the time and I can remember being frustrated by how long it took them to follow up Is This It. That now seems silly as it was only just over two years, which is no massive gap, but it felt like an eternity to a lazy workshy teenager like me. In between the initial wave of interest that surrounded the release of the debut and ‘Last Nite’ all we got for over two years was the Someday single released in the autumn of 2002. When they did eventually return, it was with a really good but fairly understated single (12:51). I got the feeling they always had a love hate relationship with the attention they received, seeing the benefits in terms of the success of the band but never being comfortable with it themselves.

I’d say Room on Fire was a very good follow up, kept the ball rolling. The wheels started to come off with First Impressions, which I thought was a decent record but received mixed reviews. I remember a friend at the time saying he had always thought of The Strokes as existing on a higher level than the rest, but FIoE finally made them seem human.

Their huge and lasting achievement was producing a brilliant debut that was both critically acclaimed and hugely popular, an indie band’s debut going to #2 in the UK chart is impressive, especially at a time when shite like Crazy Town seemed to be in vogue. They definitely opened the door for a wave of acts over the next few years, some good and some bad and most of whom enjoyed more singles chart success than The Strokes. Aside from Last Nite they didn’t really have a single that your ever day chump on the street would recognise.

I really want to get this but it’s twenty quid!

That’s the RRP for pretty much all new hardbacks… discounting culture has killed the value of books :frowning:

Booo. I suppose this is why I never buy anything in hardback, will just pick up a second hand used copy in a couple of years I guess like everything else.

Odd choice to publish this in hardback.

Pretty much the only way to get it reviewed in the papers, which will be good for driving sales. I imagine it’ll only be a small print run, they’ll expect to do most of their sales in paperback and probably digital.

Is that true (re reviews)? Didn’t realise that. Odd.

they soundtracked so many great moments during my adolescence i would feel like a bitter wanker slagging them off in any way. don’t care if they fell off; they’d done what they needed to do by the last song of room on fire. also they were a massive blast of cool fresh air considering the nu-metal shit stranglehold up to that point, and they were one of the few bands at the time most girls you met actually liked, which made them even cooler.

also this has absolutely done me:

Albert Hammond Jr.: I remember Julian threatening to beat Ryan [Adams] up if he hung out with me, as a protective thing. He’d heard that Ryan would come and give me heroin, so he was just like, “If you come to my apartment again with heroin, I’m going to kick your ass.”

Ryan Adams: That’s so sad, because Albert and I were friends.

plus i got into so much awesome stuff from reading interviews with them where they mentioned albums they were into. velvet underground, television, etc. what more can you ask for from a band at that age?

Ryan Adams: I remember being incredibly worried about him, even after I continued to do speedballs.

oh god this is great:

Marc Spitz: Julian was a perfectionist. And you saw Jack White was too, but something about the whole thing sat better with Jack. He acted more like a rock star. He crashed his car, he dated Renée Zellweger, he punched out that guy from the Von Bondies. He seemed more suited to that role.

Yeah, the whole system is still really antiquated. Sunday broadsheets are pretty much the only place that review “quality” books, and they want to review hardbacks (actually, more often than not digital copies of forthcoming hardbacks) because they’re seen as publishers’ best titles, the ones they’re putting the most effort into, even if they’re only a fraction of sales. I don’t even think getting a review in the Sunday Times has that big a lift on sales these days. The biggest thing in the industry is getting on the Richard & Judy Book Club, then stuff like promos in WH Smith and Waterstones, then probably old school poster campaigns. None of which is really applicable to a book like this, but I guess some savvy young marketeer has done the smart thing of getting it in places like Vulture, Pitchfork, Slate etc, which is more of a target audience.

listening to the strokes now. the sun is out and the cat is having a daft half hour. awesome :+1:

new link

i’m about 2/3rds of the way in to Meet Me In The Bathroom. it’s as amazing as people are saying; endlessly quotable and fascinating. it takes a dramatic left turn during the 9/11 chapters as the kids on the rise suddenly double down on their hedonism for obvious reasons but also are galvanized to take over the mainstream. the story of the first Strokes gig after 9/11 at Halloween where they come onstage to Johnathon Richman’s The Morning Of Our Lives is a particular highlight.

I think Reptilia, Hard To Explain and Someday have the ‘everyday chump’ factor. could be wrong mind.

I’m in awe of what a tear-through-it read it is. With all interviews, collating, etc it must have been a nightmare to pull together.

indeed yeah. speaking of which…