The Thick of it

I love The Thick Of It. It’s probably my favourite ever comedy series besides The Simpsons seasons 3-8, and this knew when to stop.

Anyway I’ve just heard Peter Serafinowicz say he never got into it because you need to know so much about politics. Do you? I entirely disagree.

Please discuss.

Maybe more so than Veep. And I prefer Veep, so make of that what you will.

i’ve never felt like that, but i did a-level politics, so have a reasonable understanding of the workings of government etc, which i probably take for granted a bit.

the thick of it is absolutely glorious, though. i must have rewatched it dozens of times and it still makes me laugh more than just about anything else.

I don’t think you need to know much about actual politics, but probably a basic understanding of the structure of the government is useful.

I don’t know that it requires a deep knowledge of politics but I can’t imagine why anyone without a passing interest in politics would ever watch it and a bit of knowledge is inherent to it’s target audience.

I think there’s a lot of humour there regardless of your knowledge of politics.

“terri, if i want your opinion, i’ll give you the special signal, which is me being sectioned under the fucking mental health act”

i found it a bit hard to get into at first but for that reason but found i learned a lot about politics from sticking with it.

i think the early episodes particularly can be a bit hard to follow if you’re not sure what’s going on.

Aye, I agree but the format and subject matter of the show isn’t ever going to capture an audience of indifferent people in the same way that something like Parks and Recreation can despite it ostensibly being a show about politics in some way as well.

Same.

I guess. I enjoy both shows but TTOI is a lot funnier imo. I probably just have a penchant for angry Scottish men.

*ignore the first ‘but’ plz

Happy Birthday Ruffers!

“I think you and I need to have a little talk. A proper talk, like when mummy explains why daddy’s going to be in the papers.”

“It is, as my dear old mum would say, - double wank and shit chips.”

I probably say “as useless as a marzipan dildo” at least once a week.

“Have you ever had to clean up your own mother’s piss?”

I think it’s an oddity because at a basic level it’s really just laughing at people making convoluted use of swearing. I mean I’ve always found it funny but it is fairly specific, particularly early on, in its use of politics. I think later it realised that there was a greater margin to being just anarchic and implying that all politicians are just floundering and useless. I felt when it started it was more aimed at being a modern Yes Minister.

If Peter S only watched a bit of the first series and didn’t really get into it that might be part of it?

Actually I think it’s interesting how well some (all?) of Yes Minister’s scripts have held up. A lot of it still feels very likely in today’s climate, which is worrying.

I think this seems like what happened. Saying that, I’ve heard/seen him on things before, and for someone who makes me laugh he doesn’t enjoy many of the same things I do. Funny when that happens.