The thing about trying to be funny

Is that it gets established quite early on in a group who the comedians are. If you’re not one of the comedians then even if you say something funny it’ll probably be a damp squib as permission hadn’t been granted for you to be funny. I’ve never been one of the comedians.

8 Likes

what if it’s a group of actual comedians

taps microphone

is it the sign of a healthy friendship group if everyone is granted comedian rights or are just none of us funny or something

1 Like

Once again I bring up the moment when I put to bed any hopes I had ever had of even considering trying stand-up comedy. I was at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (as a punter) and, in a restaurant, we’re having dinner and there’s a group on the table elsewhere in the room.

I can’t remember exactly what was said, but the waiter or whatever said something about them messing about. Not in a chastisement way or anything, just a polite observation, I think.

Anyway one of these guys, he sez “We’re comedians, it’s kind of our job” with a sardonic chortle.

That’s no way to live. That’s no life for me.

Anyway, all of the people on that table are probably on every fucking podcast in existence and at least one of them probably pivoted to being an absolutely demented TERF because it occasionally gets him a gig on GBNews

2 Likes

7,175 likes, 128 comments - mralistairgreen on July 6, 2023: "Little introduction for new followers. Welcome to the madhouse lol! 😂🇬🇧👍"

8 Likes

Haha just going to leave that thumbnail.

This was the intended link: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuWSc8TIJR6/?igshid=NjIwNzIyMDk2Mg==

5 Likes

I knew it was him immediately from the amusingly cropped thumbnail

love that fkn guy

5 Likes

just tried to post a joke and this message came up

can someone give me comedians rights please

8 Likes

Want this engraved somewhere.

1 Like

I think it’s about expectations, if they’re not expecting you to say something funny then it’s confusing. Best to say “Here’s a funny joke:” before saying your funny joke.

1 Like

Remember in my final year at university a gang of Footlights came through the kebab shop I was in and they were absolutely insufferable trying to outdo each other with being funny. I’m sure every one of them is now on a panel show but man they fucking sucked.

1 Like

on of the best things in the world is when someone who’s not known for being a comedian says something brutally funny

3 Likes

Funny people aren’t actually funny tbh

1 Like

Could easily replace them with AI already

We’re all Andy Parsons.

1 Like

Think I’m the only person on earth who thought he was funny

Saw a poster up for him doing a show in Glasgow recently. Can’t imagine who would go to that. Apart from you.

I’m there now. Got a backstage VIP pass.

1 Like

I did a better one but the computer mic didn’t work

2 Likes