The time for noticing tennis is approaching

this last set has been unreal
both players saved 2 MPs already

bloody love both of those players but Simona really needed that win
what a match

Just watched the last few games on Eurosport. Exciting! Pleased for Halep. Feel bad rooting against C Woz, but it’s got to be done really.

Now catching my first sight of Edmund. He’s really come on, but Cilic was being good Cilic today. Only a Chung win make that title interesting now.

Brilliant final

was a good match
weird looking back how close it actually was cos it felt the whole way through that Caro had the upper hand, she was just looking fresher, is a really bad matchup for Halep’s game and was more likely to close it out

quite happy for her, she’s had too good a hardcourt career to retire without winning a slam

Decent final this

It’s weird, both players have seemed off at times, if cilic wasn’t so nervous in the first set it could have been totally different

Yep. And as soon as i said it was a decent match, fed took over.

He has now won 10% of open era grand slams.
The open era started 50 years ago.
That is insane.

should we change something about the thread title to reflect that this is the rolling tennis thread?

what do we think about this?

meh, I sympathise with how hard it is for players to regain their ranking after a long layoff but Serena’s good enough for it to not be a big issue. makes things more exciting imo, if Osaka’s not burned out then tomorrow could be a real popcorn match

Yesterday’s final was the most I’ve enjoyed a mens match in a long time. so happy for Delpo, cried a bit when he dedicated it to his dog (rip Cesar)

1 Like

That is an incredibly unfortunate bit of photographic composition.

or we could just make a rolling tennis thread

As for the seeding issue I think it’s a bit much. The purpose of seeding in general is to try to maximise the amount of matchplay by the best players that gets seen. If you put the world’s top two players in the first round together then one of them will only be seen at one match (plus the final might be boring), which is a bit suboptimal, but only a bit.

Seeding is definitely NOT designed to give top players an easy ride, although it tends to go that way a bit. Entry protection is fine, but there’s an argument that there’s a whole new narrative to be gained from the uncertainty associated with a player coming back from a long lay off, and that’s perfectly compatible with them meeting big seeds early.

This does not mean I want Murray drawn against Federer in the first match on Centre at Wimbledon this year though.

1 Like

There would be something a bit awesome about this if it happened though, wouldn’t it :smiley:

1 Like

bloody impressive from Osaka to follow up the Indian Wells title with that win over Serena
kid has it all

And the bleating about Serena’s seeding continues. The thing everyone’s missing is that she’s Serena, and bludgeoning her way through obstacles is what she does.

Love the idea some are mooting that recovering match fitness after breaking your leg is somehow more difficult than doing it after you’ve squeezed a human out of you and then looked after it non-stop for a few months.

yeah i’m open to being persuaded but not really convinced by what people are saying, she already has the option of a protected ranking for a few tournaments and can get a wildcard wherever she wants (in this sense reckon tennis already gives more preferential treatment to its star names than most sports) so it’s not like she’s having to play qualifiers. the idea that she should be given her old seeding as if the last year of tennis never happened is a bit weird. based on last night she’s not in good enough form yet for a seeding to be merited anyway

1 Like

So we’re already well into the dirt season, with Madrid well underway. By my reckoning we’re something like a fortnight away from the first anniversary of Nadal last losing a set on clay.

Do we keep this thread alive or should we start another one. To be honest I’m a little out of the loop with much of what’s going on. Everything’s a bit fluxy with so many players nursing or recovering from injuries. And that’s just on the men’s side. Have to say I’m starting to fear the worst about Murray. It’s beginning to look possible that we’ve seen the last of him.

OK maybe I’m talking to myself. That’s not going to stop me.

So the Murrays are sending out Big Judy to quash my speculation about the boy’s future. OK we’ll see.

In the meantime Edmund beats Djokovic (! Well I guess…), but then Goffin (genuine !). Fair dos to the lad that’s a result. To win Madrid he’d probably have to beat Medvedev, Djokovic and Goffin (done) then Shapavalov, Zverev and Nadal. If he does that they should give him two titles.

Looking pretty shonky in the women’s game these days. Watson is pretty much reverting to a doubles player, Konta looks like whatever she had has properly worn off, and has anyone seen Laura Roboson recently? Oh yeah and I see Halep lost again today. Ma Serena, the field is there for the taking.