The time for noticing tennis is approaching

Right then.

straightens tie, crunches knuckles, leans back in umpire’s chair

Andy Murray Is SHITE

Yes he is, but his mum says he won’t be in a few weeks.

1 Like

Quite want to see a doubles match between Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, all hobbling around clutching at their aching joints.

barely watched anything since Miami really. beating Djokovic right now aint no thing though
got no interest in watching Rafa sweeping up
happy to see Kvitova winning her 3rd title of the year, also has a weirdly great record at Madrid so wouldn’t be surprised to see her winning it. still no clue for RG tho

Hah it’s official. Nadal is Thiem’s bunny.

happy with this.
was gonna say this is a huge chance for Thiem to win his first big tournament but just seen his H2H against Anderson :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Zverev now holds as many masters titles as Wawrinka, Cilic and Del Potro have won in their entire careers combined :open_mouth:
guess that’s a reflection of the era as much as anything but still, really ought to go deep in at least one slam this summer, & if he does has the game and the mentality to win one

seems a bit bratty though, Thiem is much easier to like

It’s mostly a factor of the big four monopolising the Masters events. Murray might have been a bit of a slow starter at winning slams, but he got into the groove of hoovering up Masters early.

Big responsibility on those two to be honest. The day when the four big names are no longer factoring must be a couple of years away tops, and the game is going to need some players who can really start to look like stars. And at the moment we just have a load of contenders, with nobody really standing out. And you’re right, the way for one of them to do it is to win one of the high profile slams, ideally thrashing Nadal into retirement in the final at Roland Garros :smiley:

1 Like

Fognini in this form is one of the few players who might be able to touch Rafa on clay

also first ever meeting between Ostapenko & Sharapova later, really hope there’s some deciding set drama

Supposedly Edmund put up a brave fight against Zverev. Be great to get back to the days of British players losing in tight straight sets again. I miss Jeremy Bates (not really).

Personally I hope Ostapenko nails Maria to the floor.

having a really decent season isn’t he
will be some very wide open sections of the RG draw (especially if Zverev continues his shiteness in slams) so might have a chance of another deep slam run

Yeah there’s much mileage being made out of his ascent into the higher seeding rankings, but he has to make it count, because there’s a bit of luck about him having slam semi points in his register. Be depressing to see him drop to world 60 or something next January.

quick poll for the TENNIS brigade:

Which of these do you reckon will win at least one more major?

• Murray
  • Djokovic
  • Federer
  • Nadal

0 voters

Federer will win another Wimbledon, Nadal will win another French Open, Djokovic might do something i guess but Murray’s not winning another one if you ask me (although it’d be nice if he did)

1 Like

thought Shaza was in decent form but i’m also here for her getting whaled on

Fognini won a set! and 3 more games after that

Nadal should still be favourite for the upcoming French, and might still be in enough nick next year. If nobody wants it he could pick up another US Open or less likely Wimbledon.

Federer might win one or two more, but I’m a bit sceptical.

Both of those are dependent on players who could win not stepping up, rather than their own invincibility.

Djokovic and Murray’s games are so based on physicality that I can’t see how they could win a two week slam again, unless they undergo a miraculous turnaround in physical condition. And it doesn’t look likely.

1 Like

2h20 in and 1-1 in the 3rd, good stuff
cmon Ostapenko, really her to rack up some ranking points here before her French Open ones fall off

Djokovic is having his best tournament in a year here tbf. still looks too fragile to win a slam but I don’t feel confident writing him off completely yet.
tomorrow’s match could be v interesting

Nadal almost certainly.

As for the others (specifically Federer)…it depends on what kind of next generation we’re going to have. If someone like Zverev, Thiem or even Dimitrov go up another level…then it won’t be long before the old guard steps down. If, however, were destined for an era with few dominant players…then expect Rog to keep hanging on.

this is pretty damning for Halep, didn’t realise it was that bad

also never been blown away by Svitolina’s game but that speaks for itself, as with Zverev just needs to get her shit together in slams. RG is gonna be so wide open again. bit worried about Sharapova old manning it again but think there’s enough depth there for someone to stop her

1 Like