The Truth is Out There 👽 (Rolling alien thread)

“Oi can’t get me ead round that”

Fwiw I really hope I’m wrong about the last part.

I’d recommend anyone who gets their dicks hardened by long-time-period galactic civilisations to read House of Suns. Really cool book set 6 million years in the future. Has awesome ideas about civilisation turn over in a populated inter-space galaxy.

Ergo; we ain’t alone, but there’s fuck all chance of meeting someone. By the time a civilisation has the technology to go into space, they’ve already nuked their planet to bits. Sorry.

:point_up_2: :eyes:

love how the article just ends on

The spokesman added that it was unlikely to be aliens from another planet.

Cigarette Smoking Man got to him

Sounds like quite a few sausage-party gigs I’ve been to.

Alright Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black

Now, mention of aliens is beginning to wear thin. “It helps to sell the story, but at this point I do roll my eyes a bit,” he said. Many astronomers now favour the idea that FRBs are intense beams of radiation shed by charged particles as they are whipped around by strongly magnetised neutron stars. “It seems like a more plausible idea, but I don’t want to rule out aliens completely,” he said. “I’ve been wrong before.”

Not on with that pile of technobabble being “more plausible” than it being some alien soap opera tbh

BREAKING NEWS: “It’s The Space Archers

They’re super weird events, this is only the second one (out of 20 or so) that repeats. My money is on big ass magnetic fields and shocks, not aliens though, soz.

There was an article in the independent on this that said the FRBs might be a form of intergalactic spaceship propulsion

“Fast radio bursts are exceedingly bright given their short duration and origin at great distances, and we haven’t identified a possible natural source with any confidence,” Loeb has said. “An artificial origin is worth contemplating and checking.”

If that is the case, then the civilisation flinging the blasts towards us is likely to be nothing like our own – among other things, it would have to have built a planet-sized transmitter in order to pelt the messages across the galaxies and towards us. But while that’s beyond our own capabilities, it’s not beyond the realm of physical possibility and so presumably could be developed by a sufficiently advanced civilisation, Professor Loeb has argued.

It isn’t necessarily the case that the blasts are messages being sent by those aliens, even if there are extraterrestrials on the other end. Instead, we could be picking up stray blasts that are being used to push huge spaceships across the universe, he wrote in 2017 – the intense blast of energy we experience is powerful enough to carry vast ships over even more vast differences.

If that’s happening, the transmitter would have to be pointing its beam at wherever the ship was in space – since the ship, the transmitter, and its destination would be continually moving, sometimes it would miss, and when that happens the blasts might leak through and hit us. That would explain some of the most intriguing parts of the FRBs, such as the fact they appear to come at us with no real pattern and from various points in the sky.

I like this idea

A good one

Thought this article/interview about Oumuamua was totally fascinating

Guess who’s back
Back again
Oumuamua’s back
Tell an alien friend

I got excited that it was actually back, thanks for nothing Gunty

There’s my evening sorted

That’s a giant flying whale being chased by a giant swan.

But more importantly, the new images are creating scientific puzzles about how such an object could even be formed.

Late-80s ravers?