i had no idea the guy who plays sheldon was 45

1 Like

I saw an episode once. It was shit.

4 Likes

Timely reminder of one of my favourite Tweets

https://mobile.twitter.com/LyleRath/status/692483069064933378/video/1

Awful, awful show.

32 Likes

It’ll be on Channel 4 and/or Dave for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years a-BAZINGA!!! ~falls about in hysterics~

6 Likes

People getting all sneery about popular comedy is one of my least favourite DiS tropes. Lay into it for the put-on Indian accent bits or the treatment of its female characters or whatnot, but getting all judgemental about the humour itself is implicitly looking down on the (many) folks who find it funny.

9 Likes

Nope.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s pure snobbery. Lots of people find it funny. You’re saying the humour is in some way objectively bad.

there’s something jarring and dreamlike about laugh-track free sitcom clips on youtube i find quite appealing. they have a twin peaks red room vibe. don’t quite know how to explain it.

7 Likes

For me it’s difficult to separate these two though. Because of the put-on Indian accent, the stereotyping of someone who might seem to be on the autistic spectrum, the attitudes to women etc I personally struggle to derive much pleasure/humour from it.

If people can separate the inappropriateness from the lightheartedness and enjoy it accordingly then fair play to them.

Humour is a highly subjective and personal thing though, ain’t it. Different strokes and all that.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m not gonna go out to bat for it. I enjoyed early series when I was younger but it’s not something I’d choose to watch now.

There is definitely a large element of comedy snobbery on this site, particularly for anything ‘gentle’ or, as you say, ‘lighthearted’, and something like the tweet referenced earlier is a comment on how ‘stupid’ the comedy is, rather than a searing socio-political critique.

2 Likes

How far do you extend this in terms of criticism though? You can’t call Muse or Twilight or any number of things shite because they’re not “objectively” terrible and people enjoy them?

Does your post apply to Mrs Browns Boys or post-2000 Simpsons and Family Guy too?

1 Like

Yeah, it goes pretty much exactly that far

1 Like

I don’t really have a problem with looking down on people who think this is funny tbh.

Maybe I should but… Meh… I don’t, they’re rubbish people.

4 Likes

I had no idea TBBT is decisive. I like watching random episodes from time to time. Sometimes it makes me laugh. It’s easy going mainstream comedy. Not sure how anybody can get irked about it.

it’s not something i personally find very funny, but i understand why other people do, it’s brought three talented comic actors to the wider public’s attention (the comic book guy, sheldon and sheldon’s gf), but it shouldn’t have reached 12 seasons imo.

have to admit, as shit as it is, i find it more tolerable than a lot of other sitcoms of its ilk. had a period about 6 years ago where i would finish work at midnight and it would be on E4 when i got home and i found it strangely comforting despite not being funny. probably all the bright colours and shapes.

definitely gets a lot more annoying the more you see it though (which thanks to E4 is A Lot). any of the more recent episodes i’ve seen you can tell they ran out of ideas entirely quite a long time ago.

dunno why people get so bothered about it. just don’t watch it.

1 Like

Obvs not elements of Family Guy which are just cruel or distasteful or whatnot