12 seasons!

Christ

Good

i had no idea the guy who plays sheldon was 45

I saw an episode once. It was shit.

Wish I lived in a parallel universe where it had never existed

Timely reminder of one of my favourite Tweets

Awful, awful show.

It’ll be on Channel 4 and/or Dave for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years a-BAZINGA!!! ~falls about in hysterics~

On balance I like tbbt

I like the smallest one.

think he could be good in other things

People getting all sneery about popular comedy is one of my least favourite DiS tropes. Lay into it for the put-on Indian accent bits or the treatment of its female characters or whatnot, but getting all judgemental about the humour itself is implicitly looking down on the (many) folks who find it funny.

One thing I think is unfair is when people link to tbbt without the laughter track as evidence of how unfunny it is, I reckon the likes of Fraser would seem just as awkward and unfunny

Nope.

Yeah, it’s pure snobbery. Lots of people find it funny. You’re saying the humour is in some way objectively bad.

there’s something jarring and dreamlike about laugh-track free sitcom clips on youtube i find quite appealing. they have a twin peaks red room vibe. don’t quite know how to explain it.

For me it’s difficult to separate these two though. Because of the put-on Indian accent, the stereotyping of someone who might seem to be on the autistic spectrum, the attitudes to women etc I personally struggle to derive much pleasure/humour from it.

If people can separate the inappropriateness from the lightheartedness and enjoy it accordingly then fair play to them.

Humour is a highly subjective and personal thing though, ain’t it. Different strokes and all that.

Reckon it’s like music, when people are young they are not discerning, they just enjoy most things, ‘getting into’ music seems to be as much about narrowing a focus and reduced capacity to enjoy ‘bad’ things as it is about discovery. The comedy connoisseurs if dis have lost their capacity for joy in broad comedy yet blame it on the comedy

Yeah, I’m not gonna go out to bat for it. I enjoyed early series when I was younger but it’s not something I’d choose to watch now.

There is definitely a large element of comedy snobbery on this site, particularly for anything ‘gentle’ or, as you say, ‘lighthearted’, and something like the tweet referenced earlier is a comment on how ‘stupid’ the comedy is, rather than a searing socio-political critique.

How far do you extend this in terms of criticism though? You can’t call Muse or Twilight or any number of things shite because they’re not “objectively” terrible and people enjoy them?

Does your post apply to Mrs Browns Boys or post-2000 Simpsons and Family Guy too?

Yeah, it goes pretty much exactly that far