The Twilight Sad - Rolling (inc new Football Shirt)

That was my favourite Primavera that one in 2014.

It didn’t rain for long after they finished because I have vague recollection of seeing a rainbow when we got to the Forum.

Also didn’t realise that some of it was on youtube have to take a look.

My blue 2xLP has arrived. It’s a work of art. Lyrics too! Looking forward to giving it a blast after the snooker…

2 Likes

When did the extra UK tour dates go up?? Completely didn’t realise they were playing Edinburgh fuck

Yeah, only just realised. Glad I did’t miss out on a local full blown gig, but was it still announced quite recently or a while back?

Yes, ordered my cd/wristband bundle end of October.

Whoops then! Foolish

Just put the first disc on the turntable, briefly thought “what the fuck’s with this Barry White in a Scottish accent schtick?” then realised it’s a 45, not a 33 :smiley:

4 Likes

2/3 way through my first listen and it’s so goddamned good. Only thing I can complain about so far is my long-standing irritation with short albums being released on double LP format :wink:

2 Likes

Oh dear, on fourth spin or there abouts. It’s just, just sublime. Not as good as the last (one of them bands the first album you hear is the best). Absolutely in love with it though

2 Likes

I did the same. Thought it sounded a bit like Ghost Rider by Suicide.

1 Like

First album is my least favourite (it’s really good though), really like the second, third and fourth are them to me… especially the fourth

Now listening to NOCEK, because it seems appropriate to do so straight afterwards. This is probably the first time I’ve properly listened to The Sad since my wife died (TL;DR for those who didn’t see it upthread - they were her favourite band, we saw them live 9-10 times together and I’ve struggled to listen to them since she passed away) and good God I’ve missed them so much. I really need to look into finding a ticket for the Barras gig now…

4 Likes

Love the dark

Jeezus, I’d forgotten just how harrowing and brutal Nil is…

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve ever understood an opinion on DiS less than I understand this one. Not trying to shame you since I fully understand the “first one you hear is the best” mentality, but still … 14 Autumns is a top 10 album of the 2000s for me so I can’t even imagine it being any lower than 1 for a TS fan :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

First time I heard it was this week. Been living with “Nobody Wants to Be Here…” for a few years… that do?

1 Like

Then I’ll just ask what took you so bloody long :wink: Glad you’re a fan anyway of course, like you said they don’t have a bad album so there’s no wrong answers

2 Likes

Sorry that was a bit hostile. Yup there’s not a bad album in there… just a preference… sure if I got into them early doors I’d be of the same opinion

Halfway through my second listen to IWBLTATT, and it’s confirming my long-held belief that this stark, glacial, doomy, 80s goth chic (first heard on NOCEK before being diluted) is perfect for the Sad and James’ voice in particular - an ideal blend of guitar noise and synth massiveness. I guess I feel their current musical direction has more variety and longevity about it than the sound of their first two albums - they were both incredible obvs, but I’m not sure where else they could go in that style without treading old ground.

1 Like

Yep - agree with this. So happy this is where they’ve gone as it really suits my own sensibility.