The Twilight Sad - Rolling (inc new Football Shirt)

I think Twilight SadFandom seems to be split between those who were blown away by the debut (roaring masterpiece that it is) and couldn’t get to grips with the synth-led sound from the third album onward, and those who like them whatever. I’m in the former camp.

For me:

FAAFW - classic, diverse, loud, great tunes etc
FTNT - some highlights, but a lesser version of the debut and lacking some of the instrumentation that made the first album such a classic
NOCEK - a real change into a synth led album, very cold vocals and again, without the tunes of the debut
NWTBHANWTL - probably the ideal cross of “Early Sad” and “3rd album Sad” with a recovery in the songwriting and some top gaze (the title track)
IWBLTATT - not given it a listen yet, but it sounds to be back to NOCEK territory, even if the tunes are there it’s not a sound / atmosphere I like so I’ll give it a miss

How’s that for a boring / incorrect / misinformed* summary

*delete as appropriate

I don’t think they’ve made a bad album, but do think the first 2 are still miles ahead. Did initially miss the folky instrumental bed of the debut on the second album but I love how raw and brutal it is. 3rd felt like a slight step down but does still appeal massively to the post-punk fan in me.
Liked how the first 3 all had a slightly different sound, seems they’ve sort of settled on one thing now which is understandable after a few records. Still plenty of bangers and a great bunch of lads.

I thought the fourth was their best since their debut. Recently revisted the 2nd one and it was a bit better than I remembered it being; was a tiny bit disappointed at the time but obviously it was still great. I’m with Icarus, they’ve not made a bad album. Used to see them live every time they played Scotland but missed them a few times due to… Various circumstances. Missing them again at the barras cause it’s the TV’s birthday, bit gutted. Seriously tempted by that cure gig just so I can see them and mogwai again - not a big cure fan though and it is Megabucks.

2 Likes

I think James said that he was aiming to be more direct, lyrically, with the new album.

I kind of miss that sense of unease / foreboding you get with some of their best songs (Wrong Car, Prostitute, Neighbours Can’t Breath, Alphabet, Nil, etc). You know ? - something bad has happened / is about to happen but it’s unclear as to exactly what and to whom.

It’s there a little in such as Dennis Hopper and Girl Chewing Gum, but not to the extent of previous albums.

2 Likes

Think I agree with everything in the last four posts, and I’m not saying that any of their albums are bad, just not for me. I think DiS has got carried away with the scoring for the last two though. 10/10 are truly special albums, and there aren’t really many of those.

I know it makes me indie as fuck but “three seconds of dead air” from the first fat cat EP is still my favourite track of theirs.

8 Likes

Do you mean fifth? If so yes definitely- really hope they play ‘10 Good Reasons…’ Would be a fantastic set opener.

1 Like

Number 17 in the UK album chart. Number 1 in the Vinyl chart and 2 in the “indie” chart. Not too shabby.

6 Likes

I love the first album, obsessed with the fourth, not too keen on 2 or 3 bar the odd track, blown away by the new one so far.

Might try again with 2 and 3.

2 Likes

Definitely a top 3 for me

You really do prefer their earlier stuff!

Never been a huge fan but this new record is excellent :+1:

1 Like

If he was a true indie bellend he’d have gone for this

1 Like

would love them to start playing this live again

2 Likes

Yes. One of their best.

Pretty amazing how well this has done considering it’s on a small label. All the promo they’ve been doing seems to have paid off.

2 Likes

completely forgot this existed

5 Likes

Number 1 in the Scottish Album Charts - that is far too amazing for words! So chuffed for the band :slight_smile:

PS. One of my top 3 TTS songs is “Three Seconds Of Dead Air” : do I get some indie points as well?

1 Like

They released the full concert as a freebie download back in the day - still one of my favourite TTS albums :slight_smile:

3 Likes

remember downloading it but must have lost it on an old laptop at some point. miraculously just discovered the download still works!

3 Likes