The ugliest place you miss the most

Tell me about ugly buildings, precincts, grotty alleys, and the places of ugliness that have been built over/knocked down.

Lots of grotty early memories of 80s Liverpool and its satellite towns but its got to be Pemps nightclub in Wigan for me :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

I’d like to make clear this is not an after photo, this was it in its glory days (well, it had just closed down but the building was no different, I mean it maybe even had the boarded windows tbh, would not surprise me) Its now demolished and a little buddleia paradise.

3 Likes

Canary Wharf in the summer on the weekend. Very quiet, very few cars, Cineworld, that nice Fullers pub by the West India Dock.

Also miss the big Tesco in central Gateshead. One of the worst redevelopment projects I’ve ever seen but, man, so many product lines and so close to my flat.

6 Likes

RIP Dunfermline bus station. voted most depressing building in the UK several times i believe.

there are very few photos online that i can find. seems like absolutely no one wanted to take a picture of it.

11 Likes

This monstrosity in brno

5 Likes

looks alright

1 Like

The former Revenue offices in Cork, which was then turned into artists’ studios for years. Demolished four years ago and now it’s just a pile of rubble. What a waste. Loved how brutally disgusting the building was.

9 Likes

(This is my Thursday thread)

12 Likes

Beechdale Baths, which was the closest swimming pool to my house when I was a kid but my dad took me to a different one cos it was cheaper

This one had TWO slides and we went there for school swimming lessons but I never got to go on the slides :sob: it got knocked down last year and it’s a Lidl now

6 Likes

A condemned fucked up old house that sat in an overgrown plot, falling to fucking bits, at the end of the road my parents live on. Whenever I drove past I used to love how horribly ghoulish and haunted it looked, especially at night. Now it’s just a flat featureless square of concrete. I think of all the rodents and bugs and poltergeists that it was a habitat for.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Showing my age, but the Fine Fare building in Newcastle under Lyme in the 80s was a monstrosity, but I used to love spotting it when visiting family there

8 Likes

Northampton bus station

Such a depressing awful place and always smelt of wee.

Kind of iconic though

8 Likes

This place in Grangetown Cardiff. The owner was in a long running battle with the local council for 20 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4712719.stm

12 Likes

Never even been to Northampton but I’ve watched a video of Alan Moore talking about this and therefore feel a strong sense of fondness for it.

2 Likes

6 Likes

The kind of empty hopeless building that could only exist in a nowhere place like here.

Think this looks nice personally

Lucy Road, Southend

5 Likes

It’s round the back of my regular cinema. It’s almost exactly a year since I was last there.

1 Like

The building was listed in a survey carried out by The Guardian for Channel 4’s Demolition series, as the third most hated building in Britain[7] and dubbed “the mouth of Hell”.[8]

kind of cool that I’ve been inside the mouth of Hell

3 Likes