The video to Ava Adore

This is actually a great analogy btw

You forgot the “I would rather give up alcohol” option

That wouldn’t be any fun now, would it?

And I expect a lot of people who missed them the first time around will have caught them around 2007/8, when they were playing everywhere and Chamberlin was in the band, lessening the impact of this.

I went to his film screening last year and it had a Q&A he came across as a genuinely nice guy, I mean I know he isn’t but he seems to have it in him

The truly unanswerable question

They’re playing arena size venues, the shows are in August, the tickets went on sale Friday, by Monday we already have sites publishing ticket sales are shit pieces. Ticket sales may end up being bad but right now it’s too early to say. Outside of people like Adele, Beyonce and JT, you can usually get tickets for arena shows weeks/months after they go on sale.

dunno, high profile highly publicised reunion tour, would have expected them to have sold a large chunk early on, early sales look pretty bleak

Can we get pavement in on this interband beef

Luckily we now have DiS-approved science to find out the relative merits of the bands potentially drawn into this beef.

So, rank bands from the 1990s American “Alternative” rock movement (inclusive of, but not limited to, the titans of Seattle’s “Grunge” scene). 13 for the best, 1 for the worstg

• Alice In Chains
  • Eve 6
  • Hole
  • Matchbox 20
  • Modest Mouse
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • Nirvana
  • Pavement
  • Pearl Jam
  • Sleater-Kinney
  • Smashing Pumpkins
  • Soundgarden
  • Stone Temple Pilots
  • Three Colours Red
  • Weezer

0 voters

Appreciate the effort :slight_smile: I thought you could do polls where you ranked thing in order of preference, but the website just decided to upload my half-finished post before I even got to that point. Figured at that point that it was a doomed enterprise.

Don’t want to sound ungrateful, but where did Bikini Kill go?

Not sure but I think there was a copy paste error and they were replaced with Eve 6, 3 Colours Red and Matchbox 20.

Hate it when that happens.

You rascal. You even kept my typo!

I quite often refer to this as the squarest banger of all time

think it’s maybe a slight age thing? Dunno. Anyway, Siamese Dream, (most of) Mellon Collie and Adore is such an amazing run of albums that they are worth a crack

lol no, you build up to mellon collie, listen to Siamese Dream first obviously

I feel like this poll was designed purely to irk me

Man there’s some weird comparisons/opinions going around this thread.

Smashing Pumpkins: Great band, but Billy had pissed most people off in some capacity or another, and releases a lot of music as an insanely prolific writer but that often doesn’t have quite the same urgency or magic as his best work, hence why their stock has massively fallen.

Sonic Youth and Pavement aren’t even remotely comparable, I’ve literally no idea what they are doing in this thread, but while they are:

Sonic Youth have an album for everyone, you just have to look out for it. I do kinda understand the opinion that “oh this wasn’t quite what I was expecting” because I had it too when I first fully dived into them, but then I listened to some other albums and basically decided their best stuff is Sister, Daydream Nation and Sonic Nurse.

Pavement said a diss at Smashing Pumpkins once, boo hoo, they’re still a massively important band in terms of “indie” music, and someone brought up “hipsters”, well yes, and what?

These are all three great bands, comparing them is very silly.

You’ve said it as well as I could man. Some serious chips on shoulders in here.

Disagree slightly on the Yoof’ but they’re a band that are impossible to reach consensus on. Daydream Nation is still better than anything that SP have ever done though.

You realise that last sentence is a wee but chippy too though :wink:

Oh yeah, of course!