The video to Ava Adore

Superdry :black_heart: T shirts :confused:

1 Like

Iā€™m feeling optimistic about this too - Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s based in anything concrete, but there seems to be a different air around him lately. It doesnā€™t feel like those Teargarden or Monuments periods, and Iā€™m also encouraged by the massive shift in style and quality from Monuments to Ogilala (I can enjoy the former for what it is, but lyrically itā€™s definitely lacking and he seems pretty detached, and heā€™s at his best obviously when his emotions are fueling the songs). I know Iā€™m in the minority but I still think heā€™s capable of doing something truly great. Really hoping for the new album announcement at the end of the clock.

If I were given the chance to go back in time specifically to attend one live music event, it would - without hesitation - be their (former) last ever show.

I mean, that setlist. Incredible. Playing for three hours and still having stuff like Cherub Rock and 1979 to throw out? Also that club holds, I dunno, a thousand people? I saw Islands there once. Islands!

3 Likes

Incredible. I always wish theyā€™d brought out the gig on DVD. The recording of Fuck You (an ode to no-one) on the compilation DVD they brought out is phenomenal

3 Likes

Yes!!! I love that. There was talk of it coming out officially but it never happened. I seem to remember at one pointing having a recording but it was from someone in the crowd so not the best quality.

(I need to find my copy of the DVD - really loved the commentaries, especially when they were utterly unaware. I think it was for the Zero video, and Billy is recounting some story about how the label didnā€™t want to pay for another video, and he just went to the President and was like ā€œlook, I have an affordable idea, just give me $20,000 and Iā€™ll make a video.ā€ in this absolutely nonchalant way. The 1990s!)

1 Like

Canā€™t he at least bring Melissa back

2 Likes

Everything he does has flashes of brilliance but Monuments it was just too thinly spread amongst forced power pop by numbers stuff. Lacking emotion as you say. Anaise is great though. Look forward to some hot debate on any new stuff as thereā€™s 0% chance he can please everyone. The divisiveness and outsider thing is part of the fun

1 Like

Fingers crossed for a 6 hour modular jam.

1 Like

The Pumpkins reunion going off the rails before itā€™s even been officially announced is probably the most Pumpkins thing imaginable.

4 Likes

Conflicted really. She deserves to play a full role in this and if she says she is able then he should take her on her word. However he is probably in his rights to be nervous about it, given he hasnā€™t seen or heard from her in 19 years, is aware she hasnā€™t played professionally in that time, and is obviously putting so much pressure on the tourā€™s success.

What heā€™s offering seems fair, looking from his perspective, but not looking from herā€™s.

Maybe just get in the practice room and see how it goes.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a big Corgan fan, but he was pretty reasonable in those text messages. Also I assume these are the ones shared by Dā€™arcy and it is not one long conversation, so I imagine these are the hand picked bits that make him look the worse.

3 Likes

Yeah, not trying to go to that show is one of my biggest regrets. Logistically it made no sense - at the time I was absolutely swamped with projects in a soul-crushing first semester of college, and had the ā€œno car / terrified of flyingā€ combination going. Itā€™s easier to say it in hindsight, but I wish my memory of that day was a three hour show by my favorite musician and songwriter of all time.

So, so, so amazing. I love that wink Jimmy gives to the camera, he knows what theyā€™re about to unleash. Thereā€™s really no live band like them.

1 Like

Sheā€™s saying in these messages she wants to be involved, but saying it is one thing, if she hasnā€™t actually turned up to anything, then how long can you wait. He keeps the door open by basically saying thereā€™s not enough time now for you to be completely involved but we can work something out.

Obviously we donā€™t know the full story here but BC doesnā€™t really owe Darcy anything, yet he is offering her the chance to: a. make alot of money, b. being back in a stadium rock band. Again I donā€™t know Darcyā€™s situation or what sheā€™s gone though/going through but thatā€™s probably a lot better than anything else sheā€™s got going on. She repays him by not showing up to anything and then posting private messages online.

Yeah, we obviously donā€™t know the full story yet, but this is a really good point. Back when I had my band, I had to kick out our original singer/guitarist - if you had looked at the emails, he was very enthusiastic about being a part of it, but in reality he no-showed for three weeks in a row (and was shocked to get the news).

But I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything in eitherā€™s history to suggest one is lying. People are quick to jump on Billy, but unless I missed something he historically gets into trouble by being more, not less truthful.

Even though it didnā€™t have Jimmy, the 1997 Vancouver show is another candidate for the time machine. That Silverfuck (and the strange energy throughout the show) is legendary.

Great setlist too:

1 Like

This is all very sad and grimy. Youā€™ve gotta feel for Dā€™Arcy, sounds like sheā€™s been through the ringer, but I donā€™t think you can really blame Corgan for being reticent. Potentially knowing she may not be able to tour without it affecting her mental health substantially. As someone mentioned above too, itā€™s all well and good stating you want to be a part of something, but if youā€™re not willing or able to commit to writing/recording/rehearsal thenā€¦i dunno.

1 Like
1 Like

Presumably it will only be a matter of time until James Iha has had enough and the wheels fall off again. Corgan sounds so spiteful

1 Like

ā€œThen he got whatever Asian guy to play guitarā€. Thatā€™ll be Jeff. Who has been a band member almost longer than she was.

Reads a bit like a hatchet piece this. Feel for her, but iā€™m not sure this is the full story. Who listens to the Pumpkins because they think Corgan is a ā€œniceā€ guy anyway?

Itā€™s a big old mess. Typical of the Pumpkins really

1 Like