The Virtues

Anyone watch this the other night?

Maybe we’re just spoiled with being able to binge most things now, but I wish at least second episode was available to watch as the first episode felt very much like an intro.

Stephen Graham is absolutely brilliant, as we already know. Worth saying again though.

1 Like

This is great. That pub scene and the going out afterwards, fucking hell.

Edit: This is what I want. Shane Meadows kicking me in the bollocks with depressing scene after depressing scene. Great Friday night.

3 Likes

Was going to watch episode 1 tonight after finishing My Name is Joe… Properly uplifting Friday night.

Adore Shane Meadows, adore Stephen Graham.

2 Likes

This is England 86 - 90 is one of the best drama series ever. Feel like it gets unfairly overlooked. Stephen Graham is also probably my favourite British actor.

I can’t wait to watch this but will probably put it off for ages cos it’s obviously gonna be really grim.

1 Like

Sinbad!

Really liked this, Stephen Graham was brilliant

3 Likes

I thought it was Sinbad but thought he must be far too old for it to have been him.

Stephen Graham must have achieved National Treasure status by now

1 Like

It was definitely him, think he was just a lived-in 30 back in his Brookie heyday

1 Like

Ah great, hadn’t heard about this. Love Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Mans Shoes.

Yeah, that was an excellent opener. Really looking forward to what comes next.

Feeling a little bit broken after a Loach / Meadows double whammy though. Find some light relief before bed now, I think… Schindler’s List, perhaps.

1 Like

Episode 2 last night was good.

Meadows is really taking his time to build the characters and the plot is ambling along at a steady rate. I just love the way he shoots his cast in faux-documentary style as they (presumably) improvise the scenes.

Stephen Graham is an absolute god

1 Like

Just finished ep.2.

Everything about this is so good, as @NoahVale says above, the pace of the plot, the style, the acting, the soundtrack (lovely bit of MONO!). Shows that TV doesn’t have to be all 100mph and plot-twists every ten minutes. Reckon there’s a fair amount of bleakness to be uncovered.

Realised too that Anna is Lol’s nurse from This is England 88.

Can’t wait for next week.

1 Like

Scene with the kids at tea time was brilliant.

2 Likes

absolutely love shane meadows and stephen graham

the best thing about this so far is despite obviously alluding to an extremely bleak conclusion it hasn’t felt overly dark or depressing, loads of levity and comedy, as @markp says the bit with the kids at the table was excellent

also if anyone hasn’t read this it’s an excellent (if extremely dark) read -

4 Likes

Meadows is great at mixing moments of comedy with the bleakest things imaginable… And the lighter moments feel really natural, not at all contrived. Cannot get enough of his work.

1 Like

That’s a great article

1 Like

if you’ve never seen this it’s worth a watch, gavin clark is a huge loss

Ah, thanks! I’ll watch this later :+1:

1 Like

Ah awesome read. It’s obvious with most of his stuff that it comes from a dark place and you worry sometimes that a person carries that with them and affects them on a day to day basis (especially with men of his age), but by the sounds of it he has an ownership and perspective of what happened to him in life and is able to channel that positively.

I’ve really loved this show so far, found the reunion scene in the kids bedroom in the latest episode really intimate and moving, incredible work all round.

2 Likes

Feel like i’ve made this post verbatim several times, but there’s a particular quality my favourite actors all have - a sort of seething vulnerability that properly gets me. Graham’s absolutely got that. Eddie Marsan has it. Olivia Coleman’s got it. Obviously Cazale and Gandolfini, etc, Considine. It feels like you’re not watching somebody play a part, cheesy as that sounds.

The scenes with Combo and Whitey in This Is England i find fucking astonishingly good, all the more when you view it through the context of Graham’s own background and what he’d have almost certainly have experienced himself growing up as a mixed-race working class teenager in Thatcher-era Liverpool. To get so deep into a character like that must’ve been an absolute headfuck.

Not sure Meadows gets anywhere near enough credit for the way so many of his characters portray pain and anger so frequently in such a relatable but brutal way. The depth to some of the characters he’s helped create is incredible.

2 Likes