The War On Cars

Depending on my mood I do nothing, this, wave and pretend they’re a friend of mine, or just shout “fuck off”.

In conclusion, @wikihock is a land of contrasts

1 Like

This doesn’t happen to me a lot

1 Like

Long, hard stare or just act completely oblivious to them depending on how riled up I am.

1 Like

DFg5eyLXUAEvfnN

5 Likes

if you were on a junction, then he’s fucking wrang.

Rule H2 - Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

Take extra care at junctions. You should… give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

oops. sorry for assuming you didn’t know. :melting_face:

Regardless of the highway code I don’t think you are allowed to run people over who are already crossing a road.

2 Likes

PC gone mad innit

4 Likes

Something Liz Truss is looking into

5 Likes
1 Like

Ghastly. But this is some potentially interesting context tucked away in the replies.

So, potentially a novel way to bat away the usual complaints from the drivists. But safe to say the context is totally lost amongst those without the requisite local knowledge. Because car people are so horny for parking, and local authorities so frequently horny for it too. So this sort of double bluff (if that is what it is) is really paying with fire.

Edit: a couple of takes in the Reddit thread suggesting the same story of thing here and here, too.

I see the American Planning Association is having a meeting

That might say ‘quilters’, but I’m reading it as ‘quitters’

1 Like

Fucking hell, America

2 Likes

This happened on Saturday. That’s 6 days and the crossing, across a busy fast road, is completely blocked. Would this be the case if the road was blocked? Also highlights how guard rails are actually about cattling pedestrians and not protecting them

4 Likes

To be fair I don’t think anyone would expect that to stop a car. It’s definitely not what it’s for but your point about what it is for is fair enough

The point really is that they have designed a road junction that encourages fast driving. The roads are wide, the speed limits high. And they’ve weaved this crossing through it with the guard rail only really there to give the impression of protection.

The cycle campaign I’m with tried to get them to do the opposite and as usual they did as they pleased.

4 Likes

Whereabouts is this?

I was out for a run the other week and a stretch of road I run down is maybe 1 km straight. I’m gonna say single carriageway but I don’t know what that means. Anyway this road is fucking straight, and there are fields either side which I think makes it even straighter. People REALLY like to go fast and overtake on there, but they do so by crossing onto the other side of the road.

Anyway, I was running down there and there was the scene of a nasty crash. No doubt someone tried to overtake at speed, misjudged, and crashed into an oncoming car. Horrible stuff, there were ambulance, police etc around.

I passed the same bit of road about an hour later on my way back, an hour twenty tops The three cars in the collision across the middle of the road had all been removed and the responders at the scene were sweeping the glass and debris off the road, up the curb and onto the pavement which is a wide pedestrian path designated to be shared with cyclists. A lot of horse riding goes on there too. When I got home I had two chunky stones of windshield glass in the soles of my trainers. You can still see the glass on the pavement even now.

TLDR: No

3 Likes

It’s in Cheltenham, on the A40 by GCHQ. That whole carriageway has just been expanded to create more capacity in advance of more housing going in behind. This junction was redesigned but not made any better for peds/cycles. All this work was hugely expensive of course, costing £22m

Yep, absolutely not there to stop a car. But I can confirm that, when I was working in a Council’s roads maintenance section, even after I’d explained that fact to a resident on the phone, and explained that they’re there to ‘safely direct’ pedestrians away from certain spaces (diplomatic term, employee hat on, there), this particular member of the public steadfastly insisted that pedestrian barrier ‘surely would’ offer protection to pedestrians ‘protected by a pedestrian barrier’ in the event of a car crashing into one.

Maybe it would, at 5mph or less, if you were lucky, but that’s not what the caller was claiming.

1 Like