The White Album - 50th anniversary reissue

I hope the three hour version of helter skelter is on this

2 Likes

Agree with this. Although Iā€™d still trim about 5 songs (looking at you Ob-La-Di, Piggies & Donā€™t Pass Me By in particular)

Think it has Lennonā€™s strongest set of songs.

It may not be the best but itā€™s definitely my favourite Beatles album. Yeah thereā€™s about 7 or 8 skippers but the other 22 are some of the best songs they ever made

I looooove the white album - I love all the odd shit on there, and the fact that it got release by the biggest band in the world

Having said all that Iā€™m not sure I would buy this _ I would like to hear all the extra stuff but Iā€™ve bought this album 4x times in my life already (cassette, stereo CD, part of mono remasters CD box set, 2nd hand mono vinyl copy of the last vinyl reissue they did)

I canā€™t imagine the bonus content will be particularly great (I listen to the Esher Demos every couple of years only to be reminded how underwhelming they are), but Iā€™ve got my fingers crossed the new Giles Martin mix is as good as his Sgt Pepper one.

Yeah, some really really great stuff, and some garbage, warts and all as someone else said.
Always felt that Helter Skelter was massively overrated.

guys itā€™s their hail to the thief

2 Likes

*Mellon Collie

itā€™s got Long, Long, Long on it so itā€™s automatically the best Beatles album

3 Likes

So itā€™s too long but really good all the same?

1 Like

yes, with lots of odds and ends that reward repeat listens, little tricks and flicks hidden in the corners

1 Like

But Mellon Collie is perfect!

Though Iā€™m dreaming of a world where Bullet with Butterfly Wings is peppered with squeaks and hisses, to really drive the metaphor home. Missed opportunity by Billy.

aaaahlalala life goes on

1 Like

told you my take wasnt so hot

Was my favourite Beatles album when I went through my listening to all the 60s acclaimed rock stuff when I was 15-18 ish.

In my head I thought it was 22/23 tracks not 30.

I think part of what I used to like about it was probably a function of listening to it on a Walkman. So just sticking the tape in and playing where it picked up and you could just get some really random song. And just playing out of order like that would mean sometimes for example enjoying a track like Ob le Di, whereas if it came on first or in the running order Iā€™d want to skip.

1 Like

Think I liked Dylanā€™s Self Portrait around the same time for similar reasons as well.

i used to listen to my cassette copy whilst falling asleep which was a similar vibe

the story of the making of the album basically invented every spinal tap rock and roll cliche imaginable, too. itā€™s pretty hilarious. i believe it was around this time that john lennon called a business meeting to inform everyone that he was jesus. george lost his shit with yoko cos she took one of his chocolate biscuits without asking, then he spent like a week trying to make his guitar sound like it was crying for wmggw. paul kept forcing ringo to play the drumbeat for ussr a certain way and ringo got mardy and fucked off to greece for a bit, so paul plays drums on that and dear prudence. john and yoko did revolution 9 and paul was annoyed because he thought it was too weird. ringo and the studio staff taught themselves how to play chess while high because the overdub sessions were so boring.

5 Likes

See also:
https://twitter.com/robsheff/status/1016000994864517120

11 Likes