The Winter 2021 Wrestling Thread! Featuring: Wrestle Kingdom 15! The Royal Rumle! AEW Revolution! Some Other Bollix!

Yep exactly, I’d guess if they went down this route he’d win it at Dominion (their SummerSlam equivalent), although they’re not adverse to a bit of long term booking, could be a whole year!

A year long chase till next WK still sounds interesting. At least by that point there would probably be a full house at the Dome and it would be a huge coronation for him

1 Like

Rick Rude is shit

1 Like

Yeah that’s one of the main reasons for waiting… But Ibushi has been chasing for about 2/3 years already and still not achieved it (despite 2 G1 wins in a row) so maybe they will decide this is the time but I think there’s a little but more drama to be squeezed out of this

1 Like

Save it for the HGWWTR thread

Wow, just realised that Ibushi is 38 as well and White is 28. Maybe it’s better if they go with Ibushi now, just in case cos of his age. Though damn, I wish I looked like him at 38

Yeah I mentioned that in my OP, I only learnt it myself recently but given the shape, stamina and match quality he’s in I don’t think that’s going to be a factor for a while. Takahashi has been champion at around that age not that long ago for instance

is this from your ecw watching? he wasn’t good there (or anywhere else after it) but his earlier stuff in wcw/wwf was good. think he had a bad injury at some point in his first fed run

Yep, that’s where I read it. Awesome write-up btw. Correct me if I’m wrong, but do they wrestle at a higher level to a later age in Japan?

1 Like

yeha it is, he’s utterly pointless. just stands there, does an innuendo (or something a lot more gross when it comes to Francine) and adds nothing

1 Like

Yeah I’d say so, I mean Suzuki is in his 50els and still having classics. Granted his style is very different to Ibushi’s but then someone more similar like Tanahashi can still go at 45.

It’s funny because despite working strong style Japanese wrestlers somehow still seem safer, cleaner and better conditioned, partly a societal thing I think.

Two clueless guts can’t be wrong!

Well, actually they can. But are they?

Probably. @Severed799 makes a solid case for White. While Ibushi finally getting the gold and having to go through two huge matches to do it is a huge face moment, White stealing the gold 24 hours after Ibushi finally gets it is an almost perfect heel move. I’m just about convinced but I’m still gonna claim it’s a win for colossalhorse if it’s Ibushi.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong I’m more than happy for Ibushi to get it here, he’s more than earned it, but it doesn’t harm him if White steals it (in fact, it adds to his baby-face fire) and I would still feel safe in the knowledge that he will win it properly within the next 12 months

I think thanks to BTE they’re almost face now. Which makes Hangman reluctantly becoming an Anxious Millennial Cult Leader a really interesting fit. It feels a bit off to speculate too much so soon after Brodie’s passing but I think there’s going to be some huge, cathartic pops for the Dark Order as soon as they get in a full stadium and it’ll be weird if they’re trying to fully play heel then.

Good to see Grayson being picked out there man - real undersung talent imo.

1 Like

Yeah you make a compelling argument. The only thing that makes me doubt your logic is that you’d think they’d want Ibushi to have his moment at WK and 12 month long booking plans are risky as hell even without a pandemic on.

Can’t wait for Naito to smash them both and make us all look like mugs.

1 Like

Ibushi didn’t win last year and here he is in the same position, they made Omega wait about 2 years too, Gedo is not adverse to this

1 Like

While I don’t mind Naito this would be the worst outcome :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Jay White to win, possibly just straight up from Naito I reckon. Think Jay White is the heel to take the title through the rest of the pandemic with Ibushi finally getting his big win when they are allowed bigger capacities back. If Japan wasn’t having set backs and had been able to up the capacity I would have gone with Ibushi. Jay White is so obviously there to play spoiler though so who the fuck knows.

2 Likes

Wow, to be 45 and work the style they do is phenomenal. As you say, I think their conditional is just different and how to look after themselves

1 Like