THE WINTER 2023 WRESTLING THREAD (feat. WK17! The Great Muta Retires! The Royal Rumble! AEW Revolution! & More!)

Tbf, she basically is if she’s got them out of Rousey ambling around as the world’s most boring champion since Jack Swagger through to Mania. Although fuck knows how they book it from here. The obvious programme is making Rhea champion at Mania with a convincing win at last after giving her the Rumble victory, but can’t see them wanting to take her away from the inevitable Mysterio father/son programme for the time being.

1 Like

I’d take Charlotte having the title over Ronda every day of the week

1 Like

Was wondering why the old chat hadn’t been bumped after SD last night. Sup new thread.

1 Like

Yes BUT, Ronda’s match with Raquel Rodriguez was really good, and actually made Raquel like a credible babyface champion and having the size and technique to actually take Ronda down, only defeated by her own injury. I sincerely they are planning on doing something with her after that

2 Likes

like could see Raquel winning the Rumble after that

same

Charlotte is a really good wrestler

3 Likes

Seems obvious to me that HHH is high on Rodriguez and she’s destined for bigger things over the next couple of years. Even if she doesn’t get the push this mania season, it’ll come.

1 Like

Hearing that Harvey Whippleman is in line to be the next women’s champ

3 Likes

I get a Cena/Roman vibe from her, where people pretend to hate but eventually admit yep, okay, this is money there is a reason you are The Guy.

3 Likes

Charlotte’s consistently put on great matches her whole career, I don’t think many would deny that, it’s just the booking (like you say, comparable to Cena/Reigns) and the difficult position of being the daughter of a living legend.

SHE :clap: SHOULD :clap: NEVER :clap: BE :clap: FACE :clap: THO

1 Like

The difference between Cena/Reigns and Charlotte is that she’s never had an interesting character or feud whether as part of or outside of winning world titles

1 Like

Hey gang! Pray tell… what is your match of the year and who is your wrestler of the year?

My MOTY would have to be Castagnoli vs. Takeshita at Battle of the Belts. I don’t often revisit matches but I’ve watched that one at least three times. One of those which made me get a bit teary-eyed and proclaim my love for professional wrestling.

Wrestler of the year… I’ve only been watching AEW so it’s tough to name someone who’s had a consistently amazing year. It should be Mox but some of his matches haven’t done it for me so I’m going to say Dax Harwood. Hope he doesn’t get overlooked just because he’s in a tag team because he’s put on singles bangers as well.

4 Likes

My favourite match was Punk and MJF at Revolution. It was just a basic slugfest but it hit me in the feels and that’s so rare for the rassling in 2022. The roh entrance, MJF being the perfect coward, the amount of bloodshed, the Wardlow turn. Was chef’s kiss.

FTR v Bucks on Dynamite right up there too.

2 Likes

Think both Sasha and Becky want a word about that. I’d say Asuka too but we all know how that ended

1 Like

Although granted those feuds were interesting because of Sasha and Becky, so maybe you have a point :sweat_smile:

we’ll always have charlotte sticking her knee right into ronda through a car window

1 Like

Can’t think offhand of a single great match but Maxwell, Roman or Punk for WOTY for me.

MJF makes you feel.

Match of the year is probably Hangman v Danielson. Absolute ridiculous hour of wrestling. Even though they telegraphed the draw going in it didn’t disappoint. Honourable mentions to Mox v Yuta, FTR v the Bucks (should really watch FTR’s matches with the Briscoes and Aussie Open but I haven’t gotten round to it), Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy (I’m sure Bill had better matches in NJPW but I’ll never get bored of the ‘oh shit pocket man can wrestle!’ matches) and Anarchy in the Arena.

I’ve been in an AEW bubble all year (gonna hop back on the NJPW train again soon, I feel like 2023 could be a good year for them) so I’ve got to give it to Mox by default. Repeatedly asked to put the company on his back while the various shitstorms sorted themselves out and made the most of whatever nonsense scenario he found himself in. Also TKs policy of cooling everyone down the moment they heat up means there aren’t many standout contenders. MJF had some big standout moments but I seem to be the only person who doesn’t miss him when he’s not on Dynamite. For every big moment there are a bunch of lazy how-about-them-local-sports-teams duds and while I understand why he doesn’t get in the ring much I do like it when my wrestlers do some wrestling.

3 Likes