The World Book Day Thread

Books are great aren’t they? There’s loads! I really doubt anybody has read every book!

What are your favourite books? Are you analogue or digital books? Who are your favourite authors?

Found myself reading quite a lot more sci-fi and fantasy during the pandemic as I find the escapism quite nice tbh and like to pretend I’m not in the house.

BOOKS!

4 Likes

Nice one! I have just this morning finished reading A Room of One’s Own (for the first time, despite having done a half English Lit degree!?), feels fitting.

1 Like

I’ve never read it! Was it good/insightful etc?

And the best news of all is - no parents are having to put together a last minute book-themed outfit for their kids this year!

1 Like

Recently recommended Smash to a couple DiSers. It’s a book about the punk renaissance in the 90s and it is SO FUCKING GOOD

3 Likes

Oh also ‘please buy rare books’

3 Likes

Yes, really enjoyed it. Obviously some things that were written in 1928 feel quite alien now, but it was also all sorts of fascinating to read about her fantasies of what things might be like for women “a hundred years from now”.

My main inspo for reading it right now was that I’ve been contemplating setting up a feminist book instagram and the best name I/my friends could come up with so far was “A Bookshelf of One’s Own” so I thought I’d better read the book first.

1 Like

I work (albeit infrequently and part-time) for Big Books now, xylo.

1 Like

I prefer mine well done! :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

My world book day thread was gonna be best book you’ve read in the last year or so.

Pls answer. I dont really have an answer.

Maybe one of early Denis Johnson ones, I read

1 Like

I think the term is large print.

2 Likes

Genuinely took me like five seconds there, mate

1 Like

Can guarantee some Twitter sorts have dressed their kids as Bowie for the numbers anyway.

1 Like

Non fiction: Natives by Akala
Fiction: Circe by Madeline Miller

Currently reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. Really enjoying the otherworldliness of it.

I have to say that I prefer mostly reading books on low/non backlit electronic screen. I like the one handed ness, I like the quick word look up, I like the reading in the dark. But I love owning physical books, I love seeing them on the shelves, I love the smell, the feel.

1 Like

I like to read, but my busy life as an international magnate and ADHD keeps me from reading very much.

Gotta be a paper book or audiobook for me, not got anything to read ebooks on.

I like fantasy and sci fi stuff mostly. I think my favourite book is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but that changes depending on what I most recently re-read.

Currently listening to an audiobook about the behind the scenes history of Marvel Comics. Once that’s finished I might listen to Wide Sargasso Sea, because I recently listened to Jayne Eyre and thought it was dodgy.

Got some copies of Carrie Fisher’s books, as well as some Ursula K Le Guin stuff sat waiting to be read when I get free time. I’ve also got a little note on my laptop to read some NK Jemisin and Neil Gaiman books, because I have read some of their work in comics recently and liked it a lot.

1 Like

Cuyahoga by Pete Beatty.

1 Like

The length has always put me off ( :smirk: ) but I recently read and loved Piranesi so maybe I will try this soon

1 Like

I meant to specify fiction only, as have a large back log off nonfiction stuff and I only want information that benefits me, obviously.

But as I didnt, I will accept your answers.

1 Like

Very gracious of you

1 Like