The World Book Day Thread

Books are necessary, but hate their commodification as cultural artefacts to blithely accumulate in your house.

3 Likes

Did you let @Bamnan have your login?

edit: hold on, you said they’re necessary, nvm

2 Likes

Sometimes we intersect but he’s definitely the lawful good to my chaotic evil

4 Likes

I usually can’t be doing with long books, or books that don’t get on with it, or books that give you big lore dumps. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell does all three of those things and I love it. I live for the lore dumps. I always get through it pretty quickly as well. Last read of it was done in the space of about a week, and then the next thing I read was only about a third the size with larger print and took me about 6 weeks.

5 Likes

Books - the only time I condone the cutting down of trees.

This is pretty much how I feel about records/DJing

1 Like

Please tell me about NK Jemisin’s comic work. I’m reading her short story collection rn and last night did The City Born Great and actually thought that it would make an excellent graphic novel :grinning:

1 Like

I love books

Gideon the Ninth - Tamsyn Muir.
Broadly classified as sci-fi but so much more.
The tag line is ‘lesbian necromancers in space’ which is somewhat accurate but also not really and covers barely a fraction of the book.

Also:
Circe - Madeline Miller
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
Conversations with Friends - Sally Rooney

1 Like

welcome to big books. it’s the best family.

1 Like

Mhm, yep, sure…

1 Like

SING IT

Had essentially this conversation with a friend and their response was “look I know you’re right, but if I didn’t have all those books out on the shelves how would visitors know that I’m cultured?!”

They weren’t joking

1 Like

Anyway, best thing I’ve read all year is probably This Is How You Lose The Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone.

Sent from my Kindle Paperwhite®

Ahh see I meant Big Books as in big chain business. But thanks anyway, I’ve missed it.

1 Like

Good aren’t they, books. Can’t focus on novels these days so have been reading lonely planet guides of places I want to go. On the lookout for a good book about insects too atm, I think one was mentioned on here a while ago but I can’t remember.

My cultural artefact shelves are full of books.

My Year Of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh

1 Like

I’m on a really good run of books at the minute. Just started the following after reading Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee;

Really enjoying the newish run of Penguin Classic sci-fi at the moment. Very satisfying retro style covers and some cool stuff I hadn’t heard of before. Reading Dimension Of Miracles by Robert Sheckley at the moment, it’s fun.

BORING PARENT CONTENT: sent the kid in to nursery dressed as Wally because she’s a big fan of Where’s Wally books at the moment and as soon as she saw one of the key workers wearing the same hat and glasses she threw hers on the floor and said “I DON’T LIKE WHERE’S WALLY” so that was a success.

4 Likes

One of the kids on the morning teams’ dad was suggesting they show the book they were dressed from and the kid said they didn’t want to. The dad found it and handed it to them and it was immediately and angrily hurled away :smiley:

1 Like