Theatre bastards - The new class

Anybody been to see Allelujah at the Bridge? Went yesterday. Some of it a bit Bennett by numbers (there’s only so many times you can be expected to laugh at a northern town said in a deadpan northern accent) and some of the political stuff is ladled on a bit cack handedly, but still funny and probing in places. Felt myself welling up at all the old people singing and dancing; probably quite patronising on my behalf really

Intrigued by a stage adaptation of BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO

https://www.donmarwarehouse.com/production/6885/berberian-sound-studio/

Oh, I am going to that alright :+1:

1 Like

new Almeida season sounds tasty

Trump thing sounds eye rolley but is by Anne Washburn so it’ll get watched.

Richard II, starring Simon Russell Beale, directed by Joe Hill-Gibbons

A new version of Maxim Gorky’s Vassa, adapted by Mike Bartlett

David Farr’s adaptation of Thomas Vinterberg’s film The Hunt

Cordelia Lynn’s new version of Chekhov’s Three Sisters, directed by Rebecca Frecknall (who directed "Summer and Smoke) and starring Patsy Ferran

I’m seeing this tonight.

1 Like

We’re going to try for tickets to this, when they are released next week.

https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2019/all-my-sons/cast

Let us know what you think!

Watched The Lehman Triology at The National on Tuesday. Didn’t know what to expect, but it was brilliant. Quite a concise (for 3 hours) history of capitalism and three really energetic main actors.

1 Like

Got tickets for Othello at The Globe. Well up for a bit of Mark Rylance as Iago tbh

I… did not like it. I was willing to go along with it at the interval but the motivation behind the twist was never fleshed out and thought the writing was incredibly lazy. The songs also largely seemed to just be padding out the running time.

Yeah, I think my view of it was definitely coloured by my love of Bennett. Some of the stuff the advisor son was saying belonged in the heavy handed satire thread

This was absolutely excellent. The pace and tone were perfect. The entire cast were superb (although props to Desdemona, Emilia, Bianca and Cassio).
Best Shakespeare I’ve ever seen and the best fiver I’ve ever spent.
Rylance is truly great. I mean actually properly great. So glad to have finally seen him. Yes.

Its transferring to the west end if you did want to see it

Cheap ticket wise, top price tickets for previews are £25 (up to 11th March)

Front row of the stalls is £19.50 for the later dates and is on sale. Back of stalls also £19.50.

Good intell - thanks :+1:

Seriously debating going to see a stage version of Rebus, starring Jim McDonald off Coronation Street.

Would watch!

1 Like

Saw A very very very dark matter last night. Probably one of the best worst plays I’ve ever seen. Couldn’t quite believe what I was seeing.

1 Like

Yeah the early buzz has been really bad. Haven’t booked and won’t bother, now.

Almost want to urge you to see it to hear your take. It was such a baffling mess but could’ve been good if McDonagh wasn’t so lol edgy.

First time at the Bridge Theatre though. Really nice place.

I went there a couple of months back, lovely place.
I’ve not got any London based plays booked, but on Thursday I’m seeing “The Father” at my local theatre, which I’m really looking forward too, and it’s only £9.

I’m going to book tickets for The Twilight Zone though.