šŸŽ¢ Theme parks šŸŽ¢

i feel like this about oblivion

1 Like

Iā€™m scared of roller-coasters. Theme parks donā€™t hold much attraction for me as a result.

hello, most of my dadā€™s side of the family worked at alton towers in the 70s and 80s and lots of family stories centre around it. itā€™s nice. my uncle still reckons he knows how to sneak in for free, but I donā€™t believe a bloody word he says. its very fortunate none of you have sullied its name, excellent!

I used to be obsessed with roller coasters and was the jackass who would stay on 30x in a row if the park was empty. I even went to school for engineering because of them. But then out of nowhere something changed in my brain and now even attempting to do yoga gives me enough motion sickness to be vomiting for the rest of the day.

Favorite: Tough, but maybe Kings Dominion
Rides: Roller Coasters, especially super fast wooden ones with tons of airtime or their giant steel equivalents
Last time: I think it was 2006 to Six Flags Great Adventure
Season Pass: Yep, to Six Flags, and I used to drive all over the east coast and mid-west going to different ones

Best steel roller coaster is probably Superman at Six Flags New England.
Best looping roller coaster was Alpengeist at Busch Gardens
No way I can decide on best wooden roller coaster, but the night rides through the woods on the Grizzly at Kings Dominion and Boulderdash at Lake Compounce were ridiculous. And the air time on Wild One at Six Flags America and intensity of the Riverside Cyclone at Six Flags New England were pretty much unrivaled until Six Flags butchered them.

I havenā€™t been there since 1997 but it was one of the single most fun days I had at a theme park. My friend and sister and I were lucky enough to get the last ride of the night on Alpengeist to ourselves in pitch blackness. Roller coasters are a lot more unsettling when no one is screaming.

1 Like

I used to go to Alton Towers on the same day every year as a teenager, because our school had a random day off in the middle of October so a big group of us would go down on the train when it was completely empty. Always had a brilliant time there. Then I went back for the first time in about 12 years the other week, and thought it was completely shit, properly soulless and corporate and glum. I think I big reason for it was that last year I went to Disney World and Universal Studios and once youā€™ve seen the lengths the Americans go to, and how every single thing in the joint down to each individual fucking grain of sand possesses a soul which is devoted totally to making it the most magical place on this Earth, the UK just canā€™t compete with that. I will say that Nemesis is fucking great though, by and large I think big rollercoasters are a bit try-hard, being chucked around massive loop-de-loops just feels the same in most cases and really tedious, something about Nemesis though, itā€™s the shit.

Blackpool fucking Pleasure Beach is where itā€™s at. I absolutely love that ropey place. I could ride that Wallace & Gromit ride until the end of time. Love to get my spine fucked right up on the Big Dipper, love the ā€œI could realistically fall off this thing and become paralysed but itā€™s v funā€ of Steeplechase, love going on The Grand National and remembering going on it for the first time with my mum aged about 6 and screaming and crying the entire way. Going on Friday with my family, as we do every year for the illuminations. I love the place.

Theme park/safari park that stinks of beer? What a great idea!

The thread on the old boards about DiSers who worked at theme parks was amazing.

I used to work there when i was a student. There was definitely a free route in then from Alton village but you did have to get across a small riverā€¦

Sonic SPINBALL.

Went to Efterling recently. Solid park - their new drop coaster beats out Oblivion by being better themed and having some extra loops and bits after the drop and their indoor one is alright too. Not really a park for complete thrillseekers though - itā€™s obvious that their USP is the fairytale stuff. Well landscaped too.

Hoping to do EuropaPark next year and possibly Disney Tokyo.

2 Likes

:smiley: aye thatā€™ll be the one

Iā€™d like to go to one soon. Used to love American adventure

Feel free. We havenā€™t planned yet (although if neice and sister in law come over from Taiwan itā€™ll be the traditional Disney).

And yes, the care that goes into everything at Efterling really puts Merlin Entertainment to shame.

1 Like

Just watched both of these vids

Got impatient waiting at the start so put watched both in 2x speed and fuck meeeeeeeee was it intense

hate them all and after those people had their legs smashed to bits at alton towers will never go on a rollercoaster again cheers

1 Like

Will someone go to a theme park with me pls.

2 Likes

Yaaaaaaay!!! I want to go on every.single.ride. Twice.

1 Like

I canā€™t handle the really repetitive ones that just drop from a height or repeat a small action forever. Iā€™d be cool to go on a rip roaring rollercoaster.

I always think of a theme park as something focused on rides, but I donā€™t know what else youā€™d call Disneyworld - regardless, itā€™s in a league of its own when it comes to pretty much everything, just the scale and scope and the attention to detail, across all the parks. Only flaw is there are no real 10/10 thrill rides, but Space Mountain still packs a surprising punch. Went a couple of years ago as a post-bereavement, kind-of-honeymoon, pre-baby trip and it was pretty much the perfect place to escape reality for a few days. Going next year with the kid, sheā€™ll be too young to properly appreciate it, but sheā€™ll be free, which is the main thing.

Big fan of Alton Towers though I havenā€™t been for years, Oblivion is an absolute classic. Once went and saw Pat Sharpe and Sarah Ferguson on the same day, untouchable.

Oakwood in Pembrokeshire is a pretty good provincial theme park, Megaphobia is a solid wooden coaster, and they have Vertigo, a big bungee jump swing type thing (you have to pay extra though).

Would love to go somewhere like Six Flags with massive hardcore rides.

ā€¦ and top it off with a night in the best room the hotel has to offerā€¦

1 Like