There’s a new film out about the mid-00s indie scene

I will watch this film, but probably through my fingers and with my toes curled.

DiS’s very own @pip stars in this.

8 Likes

Absolutely fuck off

2 Likes

This is now the embarrassing pics of you from the noughties thread

https://flic.kr/p/yKYc7

7 Likes

I’ve watched the trailer now

Um… :grimacing:

It looks worse than I was expecting
No thanks!!!

Also… should have set it in Leeds

1 Like

Oddly depressed at Richard Herring agreeing to this.

2 Likes

Needs to go in a ‘cool photos of yourself from the mid 2000s, doing cool things thread’.

1 Like

I’m just jealous really as no one was interested in my band from a similar time :grinning:

1 Like

Gotta name for said band or a link?

:smiley:

the myspace is still up but the mp3s don’t seem to work anymore!

used to spam us on here quite a lot!

I’ve just been looking for my old bands Web page but seems to have escaped all archiving (thank fuck!)

i’m sure you were very good!

1 Like

Giddy Stratospheres Come Dancing

stumbled across this recently as Richard Herring is in it playing a weird posh man with a moustache. quite like him but seems like an odd casting choice.

was quite weird being a teenager in the mid 00s, in rural north west Ireland, reading the NME website (and occasionally magazine) while all this was going on over in That London, quite liking some of the music but feeling so massively disconnected from it all in a lot of ways.

loved The Libertines but reading about all their teenage ‘street teamers’ and guerrilla gigs, they all seemed to be having a better time than me but all seemed to be absolutely insufferable dickheads.

i’m still not entirely sure bands like Larrikin Love and Good Shoes ever really existed. not sure i ever heard a note by The Long Blondes or New Young Pony Club either.

6 Likes

Yeeeeeeessss :smiley:

Tbh even as someone who lived in London across this entire time period, the experience the NME put across felt totally alien.

But then I was working on a phone line answering calls about missed bins and not I dunno a UCL or Kings student or someone working at a tech startup so maybe that was on me

4 Likes

Have a few 7"s by long blondes, good shoes and larrikin love. They are all fine.

Hated The Libertines from the get go. In a hmv sale at their peak they had Up The Bracket on sale for a quid so picked it up on the off chance I was wrong. I was not.
One of my mates was massively into them and he was into all the offshoots and linked bands. These days he’s a proper indie landfill lad.
Libertines fans all seemed like pricks when I encountered them tbf.

2 Likes

we had a fun little homegrown music scene in my hometown at the time but it seemed like a very, very, very different existence