Things no-one has thought about for ages

Whenever I visit my mate in Teesside I bring a few old NMEs to the pub so we can laugh like a drain. 9 times out of 10, these are articles by Mark Beaumont, and “at” rather than “with.”

5 Likes

Particular schadenfreude at a 2007 gig review where he effectively said “This band Foals will never make it, they’re just a crap load of noise”

2 Likes

Any comment, @schadenfreude ?

1 Like

I’m being quoted out of context here, I’m sure that wasn’t the exact wording I used

3 Likes
1 Like

Gone down a rabbit hole with this one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3816283.stm

Coca-Cola’s music download site Mycokemusic.com has reacted to the launch of Apple’s iTunes with claims it is still Europe’s biggest online store.

In November 2005 MyCokeMusic was in fourth place in the UK market just behind Wippit according to xtn Data. Two years ago, before the launch of the Apple music store it was in the number one spot.

Mycokemusic.com was one of the first corporate download sites to launch in the UK in 2004 and quickly gained a strong position. It dominated UK market share before the arrival of iTunes. A year after it launched, Mycokemusic.com had six per cent market share and held the number four market spot, after iTunes, Napster and Wippit.

Launched in 2001 by Paul Myers, Wippit first offered all-you-can-eat music via its legal P2P network for £30 per year - a paradigm that disappeared from view and has now come full circle with Qtrax having already launched the concept and Playlouder near to an ISP deal. Wippit later expanded to individual track retailing, picked up licenses from EMI and Warner, and garnered white label deals with easyJet, Taesco and Daily Star

1 Like

immediately knew what you were linking to :laughing:

17 years ago!!

redeeming those codes and downloading “What You Waiting For” “Hounds of Love” “California” on dial up internet, as was the style at the time

…ah, halcyon days

2 Likes

The killdozer

2 Likes

That’s news to me. Blimey.

1 Like

Surprised there hasn’t already been a Netflix doc (stretched out to six hour long episodes) about this

2 Likes

Oh wait

These

21 Likes

Holly Valance

2 Likes

Nah. The release of the new Mortal Kombat film reminded me that D.O.A. is undoubtedly the best film based on a fighting game and almost certainly the best based on any game.

I knew the game, I didn’t know there was a film! What a cast though! Matthew Marsden! Steve “no, not that one” Howey!

Hans Blix

4 Likes

That reminds me.

3 Likes

That version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Eva Cassidy

5 Likes

Manu Chao
Ben Harper

1 Like

Damn